Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 1, 2016June 1st, 2016, 6:08 pm EDT
Isonychia has been hatching in the Catskills now for the past few days; just went fishing this evening and caught a nice 11" Brookie on a #14 Royal coachmen, my go to pattern for when this species is prevalent. Any other dun patterns for Isonychia that are also productive? what about spinner patterns?

Thanks
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jun 2, 2016June 2nd, 2016, 10:40 am EDT
I have a go-to Iso pattern based on Harrop's Hair Wing Dun: sz 10 or 12 3x long dry hook with claret/grey mix bunny dubbing, dark dun Comparadun hair for the wing, and medium dun hackle. Trim the hackle flat on the bottom for a flush to the surface float, simple and fairly fast tie on this one.

That and the basic CD in Iso colors are pretty much the only duns I use.

Spinners: I spent the first half of this week on the PM and a local flyfisher handed me a stone-simple pattern, just tails/greyish-red dubbed body/grey deer hair tied spent for the wings wings AND a small white foam thorax tied over the wings for flotation and to act as an indicator of sorts. I used this with some success, TX to John of Cloud 9 for giving me a couple of these flies.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jun 2, 2016June 2nd, 2016, 5:27 pm EDT
I like a Roberts Drake style parachute for Isos. The tail is a clump of pheasant; body dark deer hair parallel to the shank; post white deer hair; hackle grizzly and dark brown. Thread claret.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 4, 2016June 4th, 2016, 7:08 am EDT
Just fished over a bunch of jaded fish that had seen too many Green Drake imitations. They are eating Isos now. Flies that worked: comparadun, snowshoe emerger on a scud hook, klinkhamer style emerger with marabou abdomen. But it took many, many casts. Had one nice fish take the snowshoe emerger, then run me downstream and into some underwater brush. Almost got it untangled when the line snapped with a final lunge.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 6, 2016June 6th, 2016, 10:35 am EDT
What size? a #14? Thanks
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 6, 2016June 6th, 2016, 7:30 pm EDT
I like a Roberts Drake style parachute for Isos. The tail is a clump of pheasant; body dark deer hair parallel to the shank; post white deer hair; hackle grizzly and dark brown. Thread claret.

Mr. Neal...You told me to "try" the Manistee...:) Spent the weekend there and had some fun.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jun 7, 2016June 7th, 2016, 11:14 am EDT
Spence,

Good for you.... hope they were all "native" fish...
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Jun 7, 2016June 7th, 2016, 7:01 pm EDT
I like a comparadun with Caucci's charcoal dubbing, a brown wulff and a simple dark bodied parachute in 10's and 12's. Later in the season they start getting smaller, but now some of them are almost green drake sized.

I love Iso's...they hang around for soooo long. CJ
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 8, 2016June 8th, 2016, 6:03 pm EDT
Yes they do, my favorite hatch!!
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 9, 2016June 9th, 2016, 7:54 am EDT

I am going to post Mr Neal's address here for those of you smart enough to research what he has said here, free of charge...He ties more flies in the winter than most will tie in a lifetime of tying, and he's giving it away...

Tim...J.R. is going to hang you from the new bridge in Grayling! :)

So...For you that figure it out, you owe Tim $5.00 for every Brown you catch on the above fly over 18"...Tim. What's my account balance up to now? I've been running an open account with you since 1991...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jun 15, 2016June 15th, 2016, 6:10 pm EDT
I assume you mean with interest?
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 15, 2016June 15th, 2016, 9:37 pm EDT
Had great success with this Iso pattern two nights ago on the Rifle:

Hook: #12 Mustad 94840 or equivalent dry fly hook
Thread: Danville 3/0 black, or equivalent
Tail: grey coastal deer, 6-8 fibers, as long as hook shank
Body: Fly-Rite Medium Brown/Dun Variant poly dubbing (greyish red)
Wing: grey coastal deer hair, good clump, divided
Hackle: medium blue dun

Floats good, easy to tie, and eagerly slurped by browns!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply