Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Sep 22, 2012September 22nd, 2012, 2:09 pm EDT
Today is the day that we process turkeys, so that means I have a chance to get some feathers.
Does any body know a fly tying use for any white feathers from different parts of the turkey?
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Sep 22, 2012September 22nd, 2012, 2:41 pm EDT
the white body feathers are great for making quills out of for quill-bodied dry flies. check out A.K. Best's patterns. he's got a whole system of stripping and dying them.

they also make nice little posts for parachutes.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Sep 22, 2012September 22nd, 2012, 10:19 pm EDT
Hi Sam,

Yes indeed! Marabou (streamers, emergers, etc.) and neck feathers or "T-base" come to mind (for wing posts on parachute patterns). Some of the body feathers or "flats" are also good, and the leading edges of their flight feathers have long quills that can be dyed to use for quill bodies and stonefly tails. They are much better than goose in terms of toughness and length. In their natural white state they are great for Prince Nymph wings. Lots of useful feathers!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Sep 23, 2012September 23rd, 2012, 9:41 pm EDT
Thanks Guys,

By the time I read your posts the turkeys were done, but I did get some off the ground.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus

Quick Reply