Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flags
Northwestern Pennsylvania

Flags on Feb 10, 2009February 10th, 2009, 12:41 am EST
Hans Weilenmann ties a sulphur comparadun in which he uses a "DST" quill for the abdomen. I have never encountered the term "DST".can anyone explain / define it for me?

Thanks,

Flags
Stay focused on what is important in life...........
Flags

Flags on Feb 10, 2009February 10th, 2009, 6:18 am EST
The board says there is a response to this by Taxon..but I find nothing below my original question.?

Flags
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 10, 2009February 10th, 2009, 6:40 am EST
Dyed Stripped Turkey ?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Flags

Flags on Feb 10, 2009February 10th, 2009, 8:22 am EST
Falsifly: Thank you for that information..........there it was right in frongt of my nose and I didn't see it.........it's a forest and tree thing I guess.

At any rate I will be able to sleep better tonight.....

Thanks again,

Flags
Allan
southern tier NY

Allan on Sep 7, 2011September 7th, 2011, 10:15 am EDT
Falsifly: Thank you for that information..........there it was right in frongt of my nose and I didn't see it.........it's a forest and tree thing I guess.

At any rate I will be able to sleep better tonight.....

Thanks again,

Flags

Flags,

You asked, 'What are DST Quills'? Well, they are not turkey biots or turkey anything. I should know since I developed them. I'll not tell you what they are but I'd be more than willing to send you some samples. Oh, here's a photo of an Olive tied with DST Quill body.

and a Red Quill

and an extended body Potamantus

Oh, I just looked at the fly you referred to. I believe it's a fly that I tyed and Hans photo'd for his site.

Allan

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 7, 2011September 7th, 2011, 8:14 pm EDT
Mike-

PM sent.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 8, 2011September 8th, 2011, 11:46 am EDT
You asked, 'What are DST Quills'? Well, they are not turkey biots or turkey anything. I should know since I developed them.

Ok. What does DST stand for then? If not what Allan (Falsifly) stated?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Allan
southern tier NY

Allan on Sep 8, 2011September 8th, 2011, 2:22 pm EDT
You asked, 'What are DST Quills'? Well, they are not turkey biots or turkey anything. I should know since I developed them.

Ok. What does DST stand for then? If not what Allan (Falsifly) stated?

Spence

Hi,

It stands for 'D'yed 'S'pecially 'T'reated, Quills.

Allan

Quick Reply