Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 8, 2013May 8th, 2013, 4:17 pm EDT
This one has me scratching my near-bare noggin:

The most common patterns for Dark Hendrickson duns note Wood Duck flank feather for the winging material. However, pictures of the real dun all show a darker grey shade for the wings. Any wisdom on this color variance?

I'm inclined to use dun- or dark dun- turkey flats for wings since I'm getting into thorax-style dries.

The Dark Hendrickson and Sulphur hatches are due any day now on my home stream, The Rogue, which is back to near-normal depth and flow for the season. 2 weeks ago it was over the banks, the roads, and nearly the bridges...wild!

the Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 8, 2013May 8th, 2013, 7:46 pm EDT
I'd go with the darker material and see how you do. Perhaps a grey quill wing? The Red Quill calls for wood duck flank wings, but I have tied them with grey quill wings and I think they look more like the naturals. I have tied up Light Hendricksons with grey mallard flank instead of wood duck and have had luck with them too. Just my 2 cents...

Jonathon

P.S. Your conditions sound just like ours here in northern lower Michigan! Water was way high and cold last week but has gone down almost back to normal now. And hatches are just starting around here too, saw quite a variety today but no big numbers yet...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 9, 2013May 9th, 2013, 8:24 am EDT
Many of the old patterns are not exactly accurate in regards to color. But, because size and presentation often trump exact color, the old patterns often work if presented properly. One of the best dry fly fishermen I know uses dun turkey flats for his Hendrickson thorax style wings. He also prefers sparse, undersized hackle.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 9, 2013May 9th, 2013, 1:07 pm EDT
Thanks guys, I'll go on tying Dark Hendricksons with medium dun turkey flats AND keep my hair...(it's such a nice one, hate to lose it).

I also tried a 'clumped-hackle' pattern recently, sort of a thorax style but with the wings at mid-body and the hackle tied to push the fibers up and around the wings. I'm planning on heading out Mother's Day afternoon, after paying proper homage to Mom-in-law of course.

The Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'

Quick Reply