Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flytyerinpa
Flytyerinpa's profile picture
Pottsville Pa

Flytyerinpa on Feb 4, 2019February 4th, 2019, 9:50 am EST
Any body know where I could buy some Wood Duck Colored Rabbit Fur
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Feb 4, 2019February 4th, 2019, 12:02 pm EST
Are you simply looking for rabbit fur dyed to an amber shade? If so, most places that sell a decent variety of shades of packaged rabbit dubbing should probably have what you're looking for or something close. Check out wherever you normally buy or order your dubbing. They probably have it.

If you want the material barred in the same way a wood duck flank feather is, I'm not so sure such a thing exists commercially. But it would be easy enough to do-it-yourself with a black Sharpie either on the fly at the time it is tied or by barring the entire package of dubbing.
Flytyerinpa
Flytyerinpa's profile picture
Pottsville Pa

Flytyerinpa on Feb 4, 2019February 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm EST
Its a weird color of yellow the guy that showed me it said the color is actually called Wood Duck. I lost count on how many sights I checked none of them list Wood Duck as a color, maybe this guy is pulling my leg .
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Feb 4, 2019February 4th, 2019, 9:52 pm EST
Its a weird color of yellow the guy that showed me it said the color is actually called Wood Duck. I lost count on how many sights I checked none of them list Wood Duck as a color, maybe this guy is pulling my leg .

Here ya go > https://bogdangawlik.com/product-eng-7196-Wapsi-Rabbit-Dubbing.html

Good luck tying...
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Feb 4, 2019February 4th, 2019, 9:55 pm EST

Waspi makes it and it can be ordered from many fly shops. Here ya go > https://pacificflyfishers.com/products/rabbit-dubbing?variant=727989277

I have on hand the basic colors and mix my dubbing in a coffee grinder or by hand for small batches, to achieve any color dubbing I desire.

Getting the exact color is more important to the fisherman more than to the fish. Don't forget, the colors of the same insect species often vary quite a bit / specimen.

Finally if you plan to match colors, make sure you judge the color when the material is wet.

Good luck tying...
Upstate
New York

Upstate on Feb 25, 2019February 25th, 2019, 12:33 am EST
Wapsi sells Rabbit dubbing wood duck #RD 147.

Tom

Quick Reply