Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Fishingguru
Southeastern PA

Fishingguru on Jan 31, 2008January 31st, 2008, 3:39 pm EST
Has anyone fished twisted hackle emergers and how did they fare? I saw an article some time back and it sounded interesting. Twist the hackle with the dubbing used for the thorax. Seems like it would give a nice splay for legs.
Lav
Lonehunter
UPSTATE NY

Lonehunter on Feb 8, 2008February 8th, 2008, 5:32 am EST
Hi
Never have.. I would love to see a picture on one done correctly.
Love to steel others ideas LOL
Thanks
TIGHT LINES
PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE
JACK

ENJOY THE JOURNEY NOT THE FINISH
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 8, 2008February 8th, 2008, 3:01 pm EST
I tried to look this one up and learned it's a Shane Stalcup pattern. Does anyone have directions for it, or for another favorite emerger?

I've mentioned the Little Lehigh Flyshop BWO CDC emerger a few times, which gave me a spectacular day once, and I recently had a buddy send me a Pat Dorsey BWO emerger that I'm using as a model for a new fly that combines the winging method on the Compoly Dun (A Google search will take you to a recipe) with Lloyd Gonzales method of tying an emerger shuck, except I'm trying CDC on some instead of synthetics, and cutting the wing short after slanting it back. I may add a wrap or two of hackle on some too. I also think a parachute with shorter hackles and a shuck makes a superb emerger. What are some other favorite patterns out there?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Feb 8, 2008February 8th, 2008, 5:32 pm EST
Can't say that I've tried this twisted hackle technique...Seems to me, though, that it would be worth a shot on nymphs rather than emegers. Most I've seen have a beard style soft hackle. Which, IMSHO, would be a more realistic impression of the legs...

In answer to Louis' last question: My favorite emerger pattern is the one they're biting on. Not trying to be a smartass, really. My "emergers" are the traditional wets that I carry. But, when things are going fast and furious during a hatch caught with a dry on the end of my tippet and all I'm gettin' are bulges with no hits, I simply nip back the wings and hackles, put a dab of mud on the fly, then get back to business.

However, back in the early 80s when these things were just becoming the rage and I got the Supplement II for my Index of Orvis Fly Patterns, I used this pattern:

Note that Orvis forgot to include the beard style hackle (Wood Duck) in the recipe.

After a couple of seasons in not seeing any difference in my catch ratios, I stopped using 'em. FWIW.

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.

Quick Reply