Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on Jun 26, 2010June 26th, 2010, 5:16 am EDT
Anyone got any pictures of their best Soft Hackle Pale Morning Dun Emerger? Looking for a good, effective emerger to have handy when fishing Rock Creek and the Blackfoot this August.

Thanks in advance!!

Bob
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jun 27, 2010June 27th, 2010, 2:21 pm EDT
Pale Watery Dun Flymph

You might try this one.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on Jun 28, 2010June 28th, 2010, 2:21 am EDT
Thanks Mark!

Looks very fishy.

Bob

p.s. Sent you a personal message.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply