Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Fish24_7
P.A.

Fish24_7 on Sep 9, 2006September 9th, 2006, 6:39 pm EDT
im trying to find a good all around fly what dose everyone think personally right now i like an adams it is one of the simpler flies to tie and fishes very well but i would like to know what everyone else thinks
Sundula
Littleton, Colorado

Sundula on Sep 10, 2006September 10th, 2006, 6:14 pm EDT
I have found that an all around dry is hard to find. This year I have fished the mercury RS2 (created by Pat Dorsey) in sizes #18 - #22 almost all year as a dropper in my two fly rigs I discovered this fly when reading Dorsey's book and gave it a shot. I have fished literally all year with it and I have fooled many trout with it. It is a very simple fly to tie and can be fished at varying depths with different presentatioins. I believe in most situations it is your presentation that will fool the fish, granted there are those times when you will have to "match the hatch", but for a good all around fly this one has been great for me. The recipe:
Hook: TMC 101 #18 - #22
Thread: Light Gray 8/0
Tail: Light Dun Hackle 2/3 body length
Abdomen: Adams Gray
Wing: White Antron or Z-Lon clipped to middle of Abdomen
Thorax: Adams Gray
Bead: Mercury Extra small
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 11, 2006September 11th, 2006, 9:06 am EDT
Interesting Sundula. I've never tried that one -- I'll have to tie one up and give it a shot.

My favorite all-around fly, by far, is the Royal Wulff. It's a pretty generic choice, but it's popular for a reason. I really haven't found anything else that attracts trout so well under a variety of conditions, so it's usually the first dry I try when there's no hatch to match.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Sundula
Littleton, Colorado

Sundula on Sep 11, 2006September 11th, 2006, 2:46 pm EDT
-Jason
I sent you a pic of the fly hope it works as well for you as it has for me. Is there a place on your site to submit fly recipes and pics?
Fish24_7
P.A.

Fish24_7 on Sep 14, 2006September 14th, 2006, 3:22 pm EDT
Hey thanks alot i will give them a try and let you know how they work for me and again thanks
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 14, 2006September 14th, 2006, 3:37 pm EDT
Thanks for the pic. I'll give that one a try too.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 21, 2006September 21st, 2006, 5:17 am EDT
Fish,24_7,
Try something that imitates Baetis. I believe the Adams does, to some extent. Yet, something with a little more olive coloring works better. As a soft-hackle enthusiast, I like a Little Olive Soft-hackle I tie or a Partridge and Olive emerger as tied by Hans Weilenmann.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply