Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Six different KBF variants - all have worked!
Original silver and grey
Copper and brown - hooked my biggest brown trout ever on this one! (Sadly, lost it too...)
The Rainbow Variant!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 8, 2013May 8th, 2013, 8:50 am EDT
Kyle was wondering what my KBF actually looks like, so I took a few shots with my little pocket digital so he could see. As you can see, this is a fly that is amenable to endless variations! And, was originally modeled off the old Comet steelhead fly but with a somewhat different mix of materials, the grizzly marabou tail being the most important in my opinion. Some of you may already have tied these under a different name (eh, Kurt?).

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 8, 2013May 8th, 2013, 9:04 am EDT
Mack, KBF stands for "Killer Bass Fly", a name it got after I landed a 20", 5.5 lb. largemouth on it in Texas back in 2005. I tie these on a #10 standard streamer hook (e.g., Mustad 9672 or equivalent), but larger sizes work well too, and the bead chain can be substituted for heavier dumbbell-type eyes or brass, tungsten, etc. for deeper situations. But, the bead chain actually adds a tiny element of sound, from the nubbins of the cut chain rattling around in the beads. All I can say is that this is my best streamer pattern and I have gotten some nice trout on them over the past two years, not to mention warmwater species too!

Jonathon

P.S. I posted the recipe on here a few years ago, do a search for "KBF".
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on May 8, 2013May 8th, 2013, 9:44 am EDT
Thanks, Jonathon. I tie a similar fly for early season trout. Marabou tail, sparkle braid body, thick deer hair collar and deer hair head. Some with no eyes, some with bead chain, some with dumbbell. I like the slimmed down profile for picky trout in cold situations. I tie mine in sizes 4-8 in this style. I tend bigger on streamers. I have been finding out, there really isn't a streamer too big for trout. The key is speed and depth.

Mack - Kentucky Bluegrass Festival works for me too! I love getting down to some banjo pickin'!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 8, 2013May 8th, 2013, 1:47 pm EDT
Mack, I use Krystal Flash for the tinsel, but Flashabou would work just fine too. I like the "twistiness" of Krystal Flash because I think it kinda looks like fish scales.

Jonathon
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 8, 2013May 8th, 2013, 2:09 pm EDT
Some of you may already have tied these under a different name (eh, Kurt?).

:):)LOL No comment.... (inside joke, guys)

Fishy looking flies, Jonathon. I can see why you have confidence in them.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply