Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GoofusBug
GoofusBug on May 15, 2009May 15th, 2009, 5:24 pm EDT
I am heading to west central Wisconsin in early June. What color scuds should I be tying up?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 16, 2009May 16th, 2009, 3:10 am EDT
GB-

That's a bit of a tricky question, as scuds are semi-transparent, and so appear the color of that on which they have been feeding, so it varies from one location to another. However, either olive or tan would likely be reasonable choices.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CharlieSawd
St. Michael, Minnesota

CharlieSawd on May 18, 2009May 18th, 2009, 7:52 am EDT
I fish the Kinni and Rush frequently.

I use three colors typically, orange, pink, and a "mint" or light green/gray pattern. There are olive and tan scuds present, but I have found the aforementioned colors to out-fish these.

See https://www.driftlessflybox.com/Scuds.html to see recipes for these patterns.

Skim through this site (www.driftlessflybox.com) to check out some other hatch and pattern info. Jason provided the photos of all the "naturals."

Let me know if you have anything else!

Charlie Sawdey
www.driftlessflybox.com
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on May 18, 2009May 18th, 2009, 12:31 pm EDT
I have a daughter who is going to attend UWRF this Fall. I have to take here to UWRF for placement tests in mid-June. I am hoping to get a chance to sneak out and spend a little time on the beautiful Kinni that I have heard a lot about while she is at school all day.
CharlieSawd
St. Michael, Minnesota

CharlieSawd on May 18, 2009May 18th, 2009, 3:11 pm EDT
John,
Way to take advantage of the situation. The best part is, you get credit with the wife for taking her!
Charlie Sawdey
www.driftlessflybox.com

Quick Reply