Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Joemathis
Georgetown, TX

Joemathis on Jul 10, 2008July 10th, 2008, 5:32 pm EDT

Hi Everyone!

A new recipe site has launched! It's called Fly Recipes [dot] com (www.flyrecipes.com)

Yeah, it's my personal site and this is a shamless self promotion, but I'm not selling anything or otherwise trying to trick anyone. I just love fly tying and I think I've put together a pretty cool site starting out with over 800 recipes with another 1,250 cataloged and to be online by end of summer. I've built a filtering system using over 100 tags to help you find you pattern quickly.

Come look around, tie a fly, upload a fly, tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Joe
Proslackass
Colorado

Proslackass on Jul 17, 2008July 17th, 2008, 9:17 am EDT
Your website is great.

Thank you,

Joemathis
Georgetown, TX

Joemathis on Jul 19, 2008July 19th, 2008, 3:13 pm EDT
The pleasure is mine!

Thanks for visiting and contributing on the forums!

-Joe
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 19, 2008July 19th, 2008, 7:13 pm EDT
Hey, Joe. Nice website - I hope you do well with it. I've got a brother who lives in Georgetown, and another in Cedar Park. Neither one does much flyfishing now that they're down there. What sort of fishing do you get to do?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Joemathis
Georgetown, TX

Joemathis on Jul 20, 2008July 20th, 2008, 7:35 am EDT
Hi Shawn,

Around here you can hit any of the locak river, lakes, and farm ponds (if you're lucky) and fly for bass and panfish. Many of the rivers and creeks have long stretches of shallow water where you can cast to carp. We tensd to have a lot of longnose, spotted and alligator gar around here and I have hooked some of them up on a white wooly bugger floated on top.

Joe
Joemathis
Georgetown, TX

Joemathis on Jul 20, 2008July 20th, 2008, 7:35 am EDT
Hi Shawn,

Around here you can hit any of the locak river, lakes, and farm ponds (if you're lucky) and fly for bass and panfish. Many of the rivers and creeks have long stretches of shallow water where you can cast to carp. We tensd to have a lot of longnose, spotted and alligator gar around here and I have hooked some of them up on a white wooly bugger floated on top.

Joe

Quick Reply