Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wesjohns8
Lawrence Kansas

Wesjohns8 on Feb 10, 2019February 10th, 2019, 3:03 pm EST
Hi, I am a design student looking into making a design for a fly box for a school project. Are there any problems that you guys run into using these things while you are out fishing? Also, I will include a short survey below that would be very helpful if you had time to answer.

Survey Link: Fly Box Design Survey

Thanks!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 10, 2019February 10th, 2019, 3:07 pm EST
What link? Scroll down and read the "Forum Code Page" for instructions on how to link.

There are literally dozen and dozens of fly box designs on the market. Some are fantastic, some mediocre, and some just not so good. Check out the C&F line of fly boxes. For smaller flies, #12 - #22, it is hard to beat the design elements of this box.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-CF-2508-Medium-Waterproof-Flip/dp/B00H4EYO70/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549861870&sr=8-2&keywords=c%26f+fly+boxes
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Feb 11, 2019February 11th, 2019, 10:00 am EST
I prefer the Barnsley fly boxes. One reason is they are just like the Wheatley boxes, but over $100 less, and just as good. How Wheatley can charge $198 for a fly box is plain robbery.
But with this style of box I have one side for nymphs or wet flies, and the compartments for my dry flies so the hackles don't get crushed.

For me, this is the best design for a box. It's very practical with a purpose.

http://barnsleyflyco.com/fly_boxes.html

Another reason I prefer these type of boxes is each compartment is it's own compartment. So when the wind is blowing I only have to worry about those flies in that single compartment blowing away, which doesn't happen all that much. A typical compartment box that has only one lid covering multiple compartments is awful in the wind. When you open the lid you just created a huge hatch of flies on the water, which is your flies from your box. Not a fun time watching five to ten of your flies floating down the river and fish rising and taking them.

What would be great is a compartment type box that's magnetic to hold the flies in when the wind is blowing or if you drop your box and it opens up somehow.

They do have magnetic boxes, but I have not seen any in this style.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 13, 2019February 13th, 2019, 7:17 am EST
I have had two Wheatley spring compartment boxes with foam in the upper lid. One was black and the other the traditional silver. I had them for years but there are significant limitations with them. First the compartments are quite small and it is virtually impossible to put a #12 dry fly in one of them without crushing the hackles. Also they compartments are so small that unless the flies are #18 and smaller you can't out but 3 -4 #16 in each compartment. Lastly I have somewhat larger than average hands and fingers. There is just no way I can get my thumb and index finger into one of those small compartments very easily. I sold both of them for $50 each.

I tie dry flies from size #22 to #8 and I hate to tie a perfect fly only to crush the hackle in a box with too shallow compartments. I have been using Dewitt plastic boxes for fifty years. I currently have four that are 1.38" x 4.25" x 8.50" and two that are 1.12" x 3.5" x 5.75" Great boxes. They have metal hinges riveted to the top and bottom of the box. There are various compartment configurations; 6, 8, 12, & 18 compartments. I also have five Myran plastic boxes .62" x3.38" x 4.25" for small dries #16 - #24. I have at least 42 fly boxes. I'm not really sure of exactly how many because I keep a couple in my bass boat and a couple at my cabin. But they are all full.

Here is link to the medium sized box;

https://flylife.com.au/library/tackrev/70/dewitt.html
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Feb 13, 2019February 13th, 2019, 10:53 am EST
I understand what you're saying Matt. The compartments are small, but I generally don't fish with anything larger than a #14. And I also don't need 100 flies with me, so I put 1 or 2 flies depending on their sizes in each compartment. I have had no issue with crushed hackle this way.

I fish creeks most often, so I don't need to take as many flies as other people may carry, and someone with your knowledge and advanced techniques may need to use more of a variety of flies.

The Dewitt boxes you mentioned are splendid for dry flies.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 19, 2019February 19th, 2019, 1:55 am EST
Most important aspect of a fly box to me: WATERPROOFNESS. I've had more flies ruined by rusting in wet boxes than by any other means. Just my 2 cents.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 19, 2019February 19th, 2019, 1:53 pm EST
Hi Iasgair,

Firstly could you please tell me what "Iasgair" is or means? I can never remember how to spell it and always have to scroll up to make sure I am spelling it correctly. Can I address you as Bob, Pete, John, or another easy to remember name?

And I also don't need 100 flies with me

I like that comment. I don't "need' 100 flies either but I want to have at least 500 with me in my vest. I know most of it is ego. Even if it is ego solely for my enjoyment. I tie well and I am very neat and orderly in the way my fly boxes are arranged. I enjoy looking at all the neat rows of flies. About two years ago I did decide to go somewhat minimalist of the amount of flies I take with me on the Missouri River. I do bring over 1000 flies with me in three C&F swing leaf boxes, one hopper box, one small Myran Trico box, and one streamer box. But when I actually go fish I bring only one C&F box. As the trip goes by (12 days) and I lose or beat up flies every night when I get back to the room I replace the lost or destroyed flies from my inventory.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 20, 2019February 20th, 2019, 12:55 am EST
"I don't "need' 100 flies either but I want to have at least 500 with me in my vest. I know most of it is ego. Even if it is ego solely for my enjoyment. I tie well and I am very neat and orderly in the way my fly boxes are arranged. I enjoy looking at all the neat rows of flies."

Matt, I just reorganized all of my fly boxes and I plan on posting a pictorial of my (29 years of) work here shortly. Show us your boxes all open for display! I would love to see your arsenal, I'll show you all mine.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Feb 20, 2019February 20th, 2019, 2:25 am EST
Hi Iasgair,

Firstly could you please tell me what "Iasgair" is or means? I can never remember how to spell it and always have to scroll up to make sure I am spelling it correctly. Can I address you as Bob, Pete, John, or another easy to remember name?

And I also don't need 100 flies with me

I like that comment. I don't "need' 100 flies either but I want to have at least 500 with me in my vest.

I got a great laugh out of that.

ok, as for Iasgair. It is Scottish Gaelic meaning fisherman. My last name is Monroe, and funny enough, if you break it down to it's original meaning, it means Man of the River Ro.

Monroe, Munro, Monro, however you want to spell it, comes from the Gaelic word ( you may want to sit down for this, and for the love of all that is good don't try to pronounce it or you'll be in the hospital, unless you can speak Scottish Gaelic.

Monroe = MacanRothaich, which is Scottish Gaelic for Munro, Monroe. Monro and so on.

Mac basically means "man" For a female it would be Nic. But lets stay on track cause it will get confusing.

So "Mac" is "Man".

"an"= the

And then we have "Ro" which again is a name of a river.

So in a short, no matter how my last name is used, it means, "Man of the River Ro".

Original spelling is Munro, Mun is man, and as you see Ro is at the end. Munro.

My name is though recognized as being a Scottish name, and that's where my family is from. I am first generation born here in the USA. But the name Monroe is originally Irish from many many centuries ago. And that's where the River Ro is located.

As for my first name, good luck with that too. It's Terryll. Pronounced like Darrell, but with a T.

As for the flies, I can quite understand that rivers of different sizes and such could use many different types of arsenal, from dries, wets, streamers and what have you. I am a dry fly fanatic, it's in my blood. But I do fish with North Country Spiders, again, it's a Scottish thing, because fishing dries and wets along with spiders are traditional in my upbringing. It's how my grandfather fished in Scotland, and it's how he taught me. So I hold those styles near and dear to my heart. I do fish with nymphs, but very rarely, as in maybe 5% of the time. But again, I can see where a person may need to or want to carry 500 flies with them, and I think that's just fine. To each their own I say. But mainly for the small creeks I fish, I simply don't need a lot of flies, and I am sure you understand that as well. If I fished the rivers you fished, I could see me bringing a few boxes.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 20, 2019February 20th, 2019, 10:18 pm EST
Hello Jon,

Show us your boxes all open for display! I would love to see your arsenal

Sure, but since I am no longer associated with any photo sharing web site I will have to post them up on the Trip Report page as I know there is a "Browse" button and I can just click it and attach pictures directly from the "Pictures" folder on my PC.
NJCNR
NJCNR's profile picture
New Jersey

NJCNR on Mar 11, 2019March 11th, 2019, 1:53 am EDT
I would love to see someone incorporate a spot to hold those silica gel packets in the fly box to help dry out the flies after use. These packets could be swapped out when needed. I know the issue would be the space they take up.
Tight Lines,
Alan

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/njcatchrelease/
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 11, 2019March 11th, 2019, 11:10 am EDT
NJCHR wrote;

I would love to see someone incorporate a spot to hold those silica gel packets in the fly box to help dry out the flies after use.

After using a fly I often false cast it a few times and fluff it up with some Frog's Fanny but then I am very particular about the condition of my flies since my love went into tying them. What you might consider doing is buying a little foam case that pins onto your vest. It is ventilated. By the end of the day all your flies will be dry and when you get home you can put them back in your fly box.

https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=111860
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 12, 2019March 12th, 2019, 3:14 am EDT
I put my flies in my hat to dry before putting them back in waterproof fly boxes. I have a hat with mesh that holds them nicely and keeps my head cool when I'm getting hot and bothered by some feeding fish.

Jonathon

Quick Reply