Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Dec 26, 2010December 26th, 2010, 11:54 am EST
With 3 inches of snow on the ground and temperatures that haven't got above freezing for over a week, fishing is starting to get a little tough. Sure, there is still some fishing on the spring creeks, but in all things have been pretty slow lately and my thoughts are starting to turn to the upcoming season.

I'm just curious if other people start to thinking about fishing trips for the next season in the winter, when the fishing gets tough. Right now, the time I don't spend working or tending to the fire I'm tentatively planning some of the more extensive outings for the upcoming year. I'll definitely try to get back to the Adirondacks and the West Branch of the Ausable (which has become something of annual trip as of late)-and I'm not exactly sure when to plan that. Last year I went in July, and that didn't work out very well because the weather was really hot and the fishing was pretty slow (the idea of hot weather seems a little distant right now). So I'm thinking that might happen sometime in early to mid-June and I'll probably stay for at least a week-maybe two if I can swing it. Then- this is still very tentative and could go either way- I'd like to make it out to Colorado, and fish some of the waters that I grew up on. I spent my early childhood in Northwest Colorado, in a little town called Craig along the Yampa River. So I may try to get out that way and fish the Yampa, as well as the White, Trappers Lake, and other good trout waters in that area.

Other than that, my spring/summer season will include countless trips to local trout and smallie streams, little Ozark creeks that don't add up to much but are fun to fish and pretty secluded. And then later on in summer there will be the float trips on the bigger Ozark rivers-the Current, Eleven Point, and North Fork for trout, and the Big Piney, Gasconade, and Meramec for smallmouth. And mixed in with that there will be many hours spent on the pond right across the street, which is frozen solid now, but in the warm months fishes well for largemouth bass and bluegill on dry flies, and even after all these years still teaches me plenty every time I go out.

Anyone else planning some trips for the upcoming season? I have always loved winter, but I don't think I could make it through it every year without the thought of what fishing will be like come spring.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 27, 2010December 27th, 2010, 12:32 am EST
Nile perch in Egypt in January. A couple of trips to Erie for steelhead in March and early April. Weekly trips to NYS in May and June followed by two weeks in Montana in July. Back to the southern tier of NYS in August, September on the Susquehanna for smallmouth. Then closing 2011 in October and November for steelhead in Erie and Gowanda, NY.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 3, 2011January 3rd, 2011, 6:53 pm EST
I really enjoy Motrout's posts. First I will say, we are pretty lucky here, to have a good Steelhead fishery in the Lake Michigan and Lake Superior watersheds. We really never have to hang up our flyrods. It can be quite brutal when the temperature drops and you have wet gloves on.

As far as next year, I plan on hitting Canada. I have talked to a few guides up there who have some great rates and unbelievable fishing oppurtunities. I have not yet pinpointed on a destination but I have plenty of time. I'm tossing around a few places, but definetely somewhere with big Brook Trout. I am guessing somewhere near Quebec/Labrador. All I need is to get near the water. I can handle it from there. Another destination is Newfoundland, although it's a haul. A guide showed me some pictures of numerous Atlantic Salmon and the biggest Brookies I ever saw. He sent me a photo of some they caught in an afternoon. The smallest was 2 lbs 8 oz and the biggest was over 6 pounds. How could I not consider that?

I don't think there is a 30 minute span in a day I don't think about fishing in the future.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 4, 2011January 4th, 2011, 4:04 am EST
Moving to the Oscoda, MI area! As soon as my boss and the folks that fund our work get their act together, that is...Which means, FINALLY, I will be living in actual Trout Country again!!! The AuSable, the Rifle, The AuGres, the Pine...not to mention, Tawas Bay, Lake Huron, and too many inland lakes to mention full of panfish, bass (largemouth, smallmouth, and rock), pike, walleye, even some trout too! Just gotta GET THERE...

Jonathon

P.S. I might just be hooking up with Mr. Pryal for some of that Yoo Pee fishin too, eh?
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Pryal74
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 4, 2011January 4th, 2011, 5:32 pm EST
Jonathon,

You won't be disappointed, that's for sure! And good for you!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 5, 2011January 5th, 2011, 2:33 am EST
James, I got the word yesterday - next week I head up there to look for a place to live!!!! YIPPIE!!!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 5, 2011January 5th, 2011, 3:01 pm EST
It's confirmed, folks - I actually worked today (did some wetland delineation) and the boss has ordered me a nice expensive dissecting scope for benthics identification. Next week I look for a place to live in the Oscoda/Tawas area. Preferably, back in the woods on a nice little lake full of bass, panfish, pike, etc...

YOU ALL ARE INVITED TO VISIT!!!!! I'll let you know where in the next few weeks!!!!

Jonathon
Pryal74
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 5, 2011January 5th, 2011, 9:22 pm EST
Excellent!!! Congrats!!!
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Jan 6, 2011January 6th, 2011, 5:41 am EST
I'm actually planning stuff.
That means this season will at least be a bit different, not necessary better -a fishing season is seldom bad, but still.. different.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..

Quick Reply