Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Aug 16, 2010August 16th, 2010, 8:17 am EDT
Anybody know anything about wading opportunities for smallmouth in the western UP, specifically on the Escanaba below Boney Dam or the Paint in the general vicinity of Crystal Falls?

Or other possible ideas for the same, say in the western half of the UP?

We're going up the first week in September. This will be our 4th trip and I've trout fished each time. Whether it has been due to the long term drought in the area or the time of year or whatever, I haven't done well with a couple of brief exceptions and thought I might dedicate the fishing time I'll have on this trip (probably 3 or so 4-5 hour sessions while Senior Mgmt. is off at the galleries/touristy whatevers here and there ) to bass fishing in moving water.

Any and all advice/replies welcome, either here or via personal message.

A Thousand Blessings Upon You in Advance,

Lee
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 16, 2010August 16th, 2010, 6:30 pm EDT
Lee, go to Horserace Rapids on the Paint River near Crystal Falls. I tied into lots of smallies there, and it's a pretty place. I was bait fishing at the time - back in the late 80s/early 90s before I became the fly-fishing purist that I am now - but I would roll a Woolly Bugger or crayfish imitation through there now and expect to hook plenty of frisky smallies. Also, the Ford River not too far out of town does have trout, browns and brookies according to the locals (I did catch a nice 10" brookie there once on an old streamer called a Nine-Three), and I think there's some other fishing in that area as well. Check out what I've told you about and hit a local shop while you're in the area - it's been almost 20 years since I was there so I don't remember much else but I hope this gets you started. Get yourself a good county map or DeLorme atlas, or do up some Google Maps and you should be able to find something...

Also, realize that the Upper Penninsula of Michigan is prime brook trout country (you may already know this) and that most of the small creeks up there have brookies in them, and many are in fact designated trout streams. Look for beaver ponds and be sure to take a nice short three-weight!

GOOD LUCK and let me know how you do!!!

Jonathon
Native Michigander

P.S. I just caught a 19 1/2" smallmouth bass (I'm guessing 5-pound range) on Saturday evening off my friends' dock on a lake in downstate Michigan, on a 7 1/2-foot three weight! We grow some big fat bass here...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Aug 17, 2010August 17th, 2010, 6:09 am EDT
Thanks Jonathan~~!

That was one of the places I was thinking about as it would relatively easy for mein frau to come pick me up.

I'll file a report when we return.

Best,

Lee

Quick Reply