Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Streamdream
Brown County, IN

Streamdream on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 6:09 am EDT
Fly fishing for trout is my favorite thing to do in life and unfortunately I live several hours from decent waters. That leaves me fly fishing for warm water species when I can and I try to take a trip or two each year to fish for trout. That being said I try to learn as much as I can but due to limited stream time I am a novice and need all of the help I can get. The Tellico River area in Tennessee is one of my favorite destinations as it is a short drive for me and the area is beautiful. I am planning on going there the last weekend of this month and wondered if anyone was familiar with that area who could offer some suggestions (ie. sections of water to fish, flies to use).
Ranny
Satsuma, Fl.

Ranny on Jun 26, 2014June 26th, 2014, 2:39 am EDT
I love Tellico. Stay at the Green Cove Motel and great fishing. I also love to fish the river that runs behind the little hamburger store down closer to Tellico Plains. Good trout,smallies and large mouth bass.Put a light out at night and catch a lot of winged helgramites in mid metamorphosis.Great for all fish.I also fish Coker Creek from the picnic area down. Big beautiful trout.Had one fish strip my ultralight.
KEEP LOOKING UP!
"Watch therefore, and pray always, that you may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man." Luke 21:36
Jesus DIED for us to give us LIFE, and to give us HOPE, He AROSE!

Quick Reply