Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Insect Family Corydalidae

Hellgrammites are the vicious larvae of the Dobsonflies, some of the only trout stream insects which pose a biting threat to the angler. The pincers of the adult are even more frightening that the larva's, and they're aggressive enough to use them once in a while.

This family's life cycle does not create good dry fly opportunities, but the larvae may be eaten by trout year-round. They are a secret told only by stomach samples of well-fed trout.

Example specimens

Cougmantx
Cougmantx on Mar 9, 2008March 9th, 2008, 8:50 am EDT
Often times in March and April on the Colorado River north of Lake Buchanan in the Texas hill country, I will catch a bunch of Hellgrammies and fish them on a drifting line with a small split shot for channel cats. While I release most of them, often times I am stopped and asked what I caught them on. Since some of these fish will be in the 5 to 10 lb range it catches peoples eye. Their great bait for a channels, in swift water and clear rivers.

What really brings me to the area during these months is the White Bass and Stripper runs up the same river for spawn. I do alot of flyfishing for them. What brought me to this web site was trying to find a hellgrammite pattern that I might use to catch the channel cats when the bass fishing slows.

Any thoughts?
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Mar 9, 2008March 9th, 2008, 3:09 pm EDT
I think a lot of people use woolly buggers to imitate Hellgrammites. Instead of chenille, you could try wrapping the shank with marabou and giving it a bad haircut. Just a thought.

Chris.
Joec
portsmouth, nh

Joec on Mar 10, 2008March 10th, 2008, 2:53 pm EDT
Hellgramite patterns can be simple or rather complex....here's one that I found on a steelhead site which I frequent. The wiggle-nymph style adds great action. Good Luck!
http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=136651#post136651

Quick Reply