Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Insect Family Corydalidae

Hellgrammites are the vicious larvae of the Dobsonflies, some of the only trout stream insects which pose a biting threat to the angler. The pincers of the adult are even more frightening that the larva's, and they're aggressive enough to use them once in a while.

This family's life cycle does not create good dry fly opportunities, but the larvae may be eaten by trout year-round. They are a secret told only by stomach samples of well-fed trout.

Example specimens

Gandoff
Gandoff on Mar 9, 2007March 9th, 2007, 2:02 pm EST
I have been fly fishing a lot over the past two years in the mountains of NC and Va. I have pumped the contents of many trout, and 2 out of 3 times, I find Hellgrammites in large brown trout, 18"+. perhaps they are not as numerous as caddis', but nether are crawfish, and wild trout like to eat them too!
As noted on several other replies, the warm bridge, and warm rocks, if you want to reasearch Hellgrammites, this is a good place to start.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 10, 2007March 10th, 2007, 3:23 am EST
Thanks for the insight!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply