Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kegerreism has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Front angle with flash
Same bug, side angle, no flash
Kegerreism
Greenville, NC

Kegerreism on Apr 17, 2012April 17th, 2012, 7:34 am EDT
Could use some identifying this. I live in a somewhat wooded area in eastern North Carolina. The coloration and ridge patterns are different than the bedbug pics I'm finding but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Apr 17, 2012April 17th, 2012, 8:51 am EDT
not a bed bug - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug
you have a beetle
Jmw975
Guelph, Ontario

Jmw975 on Oct 31, 2012October 31st, 2012, 6:59 pm EDT
Looks like a Carpet Beetle (Dermestidae) of some sort to me, but I'm certainly no expert when it come to terrestrial insects!

Jeff
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Nov 1, 2012November 1st, 2012, 3:50 pm EDT
I agree, Jeff. Looks like a carpet beetle to me too. These little devils are fly tying material Enemy #1 in my neck of the woods...

Tier alert!

1. Keep your feathers and hair in thick poly bags (freezer grade or better)!. They chew right through the thin stuff.

2. They don't like mothballs but cedar doesn't seem to bother them in the least.

3. Their larvae and the damage they do look very similar to moths (that get most of the blame). Since they don't fly around like moths they are usually much harder to detect. Bottom line - if you find one of these tiny devils on a drape or wall, you probably have issues if there's a bunch of wool clothing stuffed in a closet or fly tying materials improperly stored.

4. Those that take portable tying kits with them on the road, keep them off the floor and don't leave organics laying out in your room. You don't want these hitchhikers... :(
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply