Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 19, 2011June 19th, 2011, 11:27 am EDT
When I was fishing today, I saw ALOT of butterflies and for that matter, moths around the stream. Do trout feed on them? I'm sure they would if they could but I'm wondering if they ever really get closer enough to get taken?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 19, 2011June 19th, 2011, 4:01 pm EDT
Adirman-

Not so with butterflies, but there are at least (7) families of moths which have aquatic (or semi-aquatic) members. See Aquatic & Semi-aquatic Moth Taxonomic Structure. So, yes, trout are very familiar with them.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jun 19, 2011June 19th, 2011, 6:46 pm EDT
Adirman,
Ever heard of a White Miller wet fly? It was supposedly a good imitation of a white Miller moth and was especially effective when used in the evening. Today, there are various flies called White Miller representing various insects. This pattern, however dates back many, many years.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 20, 2011June 20th, 2011, 2:12 am EDT
White Miller? No, I have not. I assume it was a dry? Any idea on size and how its tied?
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jun 20, 2011June 20th, 2011, 2:32 am EDT
Adirman,
It was originally a wet fly, but their are dries of the same name. These are probably more white mayfly imitations. The wet fly was for imitating the moth. It dates back a long way.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 20, 2011June 20th, 2011, 8:28 am EDT
Adirman - Aquatic moths and their relationship to trout is an area that needs to be further studied. In many streams their numbers rival the better known macroinvertebrates. Angler entomologies only give them passing mention, if at all.

BTW, the common name "White Miller" is also applied to the lentic loving and nocturnal Nectopsyche, a genus of the caddis family Leptoceridae. This genera's very pale species are fairly widespread and can hatch in incredible numbers. Early morning on many lakes can be primetime if trout are found working the leftovers.

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jun 24, 2011June 24th, 2011, 12:22 pm EDT
Ok a slight side track here:
What exactly is the difference between a moth and a butterfly? I know it's probably a laugher of a question but my 4 year old asked me and I had no good answer for him.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 24, 2011June 24th, 2011, 1:40 pm EDT
Hi John,

Caterpiller moths weave coccoons of silk and Butterflys encase themselves in little plastic like purses.

Moths look all fuzzy and fold their wings over their back.
Butterflies fold their wings upright and look shinier.

Moths like to crawl all around and really like to gather around outside lights at night. Butterflies like to stand still and like to fly around during the day.

About as deep as you want to get with a 4 yr old, I think.

BTW - great question from a child only four - Boy or Girl?

Hope this helps.

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jun 25, 2011June 25th, 2011, 2:15 pm EDT
Kurt,
It's a boy and he is exceptionally inquisitive just like his big brother (well Mom and Dad too).
He and I were cruising along mowing the grass and a little yellow butterfly flew by and he said look at the big moth. My response was "no bud that was a butterfly". TO which he came up with the whats the difference question.
I guess that's the great thing about kids you always have to keep up your knowledge to keep pace with them.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Jun 26, 2011June 26th, 2011, 5:13 am EDT

Moths look all fuzzy and fold their wings over their back.
Butterflies fold their wings upright and look shinier.

Kurt

I like that!
The Moth = caddis and Butterfly = mayfly analogy with my kids just didn't cut it...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 27, 2011June 27th, 2011, 11:21 am EDT
JW -
Just spent the weekend with my first grandchild (boy that sounds weird... I'm not that old!) and the little guy is already studying things.. Sharing the natural world with our progeny is one of the greatest things we can do as parents. Lasting memories for all! Cherish, as it goes by fast...

Tony -
The Moth = caddis and Butterfly = mayfly analogy with my kids just didn't cut it...

Great analogy. Never thought of it before, but works for me! I can see how it was a bit much for the kids... :)

regards,

Kurt

Quick Reply