Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Male Leptophlebia cupida (Leptophlebiidae) (Black Quill) Mayfly Dun from the Teal River in Wisconsin
This Leptophlebia cupida dun was extremely cooperative, and it molted into a spinner for me in front of the camera. Here I have a few dun pictures and one spinner picture, and I've put the entire molting sequence in an article.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 30, 2007March 30th, 2007, 3:10 pm EDT
Saw a nice Leptophlebia cupida/nebulosa spinner today while I was sitting on the front porch; it met its demise in my wife's soda, unfortunately. That's the first one I've noticed this year. What else, if anything, is everyone seeing so far this spring? The Ameletus from the stream behind my house will be hatching soon, maybe yet this weekend, if the weather cooperates.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 30, 2007March 30th, 2007, 3:18 pm EDT
I just went nymph-collecting. Some very tiny stonefly adults (Nemouridae maybe) turned up in my kick-net sample, with a few matching nymphs.

The only nymphs I caught with darkened hatch-ready wingpads were Paraleptophlebia and some Baetid mayfly.

I'm photographing now.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 31, 2007March 31st, 2007, 1:46 am EDT
Troutnut, I'd be interested to see the Paraleptophlebia nymph. Could you rear out some male spinners?
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 31, 2007March 31st, 2007, 2:01 am EDT
Unfortunately no... they died pretty quickly. :(

Hopefully I'll catch some more before it's time for them to hatch.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Joec
portsmouth, nh

Joec on Feb 24, 2008February 24th, 2008, 1:17 pm EST
I believe this is the same species which hatches shortly after ice-out in many of our remote trout ponds in Maine and NH. I have experienced good fishing to both the duns and nymphs, no matter the weather. The hatch usually commences around memorial day. Does anyone else have experience with this hatch and do you think I have the genus at least correct? I am confused because much of which I have read suggests that leptophlebia are found in my region in lower elevation streams.
Any help is appreciated!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 24, 2008February 24th, 2008, 2:40 pm EST
Joe-

It may (or may not) be the same species, as Maine and New Hampshire have (4) species of Leptophlebia, L. cupida, L. intermedia, L. johnsoni, and L. nebulosa. However, both the emergence timing and the water type you describe would seem appropriate. In answer to your stated confusion, Leptophlebia species are most often found in very slow moving pools of some streams, and in shallow ponds.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Joec
portsmouth, nh

Joec on Feb 25, 2008February 25th, 2008, 5:27 am EST
Thanks Roger. My pond-dwelling Leptophlebia is a much anticipated event especially in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine. There are countless ponds which contain these insects. Most local fly fishermen refer to this hatch as the "hendrickson hatch". Of course they call most all brown/rusty mayflies "hendricksons". In august on the Kennebec near Bingham there is a dependable spinner fall of Isonychia and these too are labeled "hendricksons". For the visiting fisherman obtaining accurate hatch info can be difficult. Things are changing, however slowly!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 25, 2008February 25th, 2008, 7:15 am EST
Joe-

My pond-dwelling Leptophlebia is a much anticipated event especially in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine. There are countless ponds which contain these insects. Most local fly fishermen refer to this hatch as the "hendrickson hatch". Of course they call most all brown/rusty mayflies "hendricksons".

Identifying stillwater inhabiting mayflies is somewhat less complicated than is identifying those inhabiting moving water, as there are only (6) genera of the former in N. America of which I am aware, those being Caenis, Callibaetis, Hexagenia, Leptophlebia, Siphlonurus, and Tricorythodes.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 25, 2008February 25th, 2008, 7:18 pm EST
This isn't really relevant to the Leptophlebia topic, but I just wanted to comment that Roger left Ephemera and Ephoron off the list. There are major stillwater populations of both.

Of course, if we were nitpicking, I'm sure we could find dozens of obscure mayfly genera with a few stillwater populations here and there, but those two are pretty major.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 25, 2008February 25th, 2008, 9:21 pm EST
Jason-

I stand corrected, as Ephemera simulans is found in mid-Western lakes. However, I believe Ephoron species require moving water. Which Ephoron species do you understand to inhabits ponds or lakes?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 26, 2008February 26th, 2008, 4:30 am EST
E. simulans is found in one of the Finger Lakes in upstate NY, too.

I don't know whether it was Ephoron leukon or Ephoron album, but I vividly recall motoring through a thick emergence of Ephoron across Lake Owen in northern WI. So that's personal experience; I don't remember reading something to back it up.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 26, 2008February 26th, 2008, 4:58 am EST
Jason-

I don't doubt your experience. When stoneflies can survive on constantly waveswept shores of certain large lakes, just about anything seems possible.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply