Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Rford
New Jersey

Rford on Nov 9, 2006November 9th, 2006, 12:38 pm EST
Anyone have any advice where might be a good spot to fly fish this weekend in the Ithaca NY area.

I am visiting an old friend and may take a couple hours to wet a line.

Thanks,

Ralph
Ralph
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 9, 2006November 9th, 2006, 2:47 pm EST
It's really not very good. This is a popular type of year to try for big fish running up from Lake Cayuga, but I can't get into that. One of my friends is really good at it and he still considers 1 fish a day pretty good, fishing most of the day. For me it's a good day if I even see a fish.

Fall Creek below Ithaca Falls is one of the most popular spots. The pool right at the falls has a good reputation, and there are several relatively decent spots all the way down to Cayuga Street. It's a very turbid creek in an urban setting, but it's your best chance around here to get into a fish without knowing one of the other rivers really well from experience (which I don't).

I've hardly been out fishing for the lake runs at all, and I've only seen a few. It's not like the Great Lakes tribs or anything.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply