Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Arthropod Order Araneae

Some species of spiders actually live underwater, but they seem less common than those which live on land near the water. From a fly angler's perspective, then, spiders are mostly important as terrestrials.

Because of their relatively stable life cycles, there don't seem to be any points at which spiders become available to trout en masse. But they're undoubtedly a part of the mixed bag of summer terrestrials.
Cspear
Cspear on Aug 20, 2008August 20th, 2008, 5:24 am EDT
I have these Arthropod Order Araneae (Spiders) all over my property last weekend in West Kill NY. Are they poisonous? Do they live in the creek? Are they coming out of the creek to hatch because each one had a wed and egg sacks inside. They are big! Any thing interesting or warnings about these, I'd like to know.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Aug 20, 2008August 20th, 2008, 9:03 am EDT
Cspear,

Sounds like one of the nursery web spiders (Pisuradae). It's just a guess, but try googling Dolomedes (fishing spider).

Quick Reply