Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jun 10, 2011June 10th, 2011, 4:37 pm EDT
I went to the pond with my net, intent on catching an amber wing as a reference for my next project.I missed a beautiful specimen just above the water and caught a large fishing spider instead.He was so neat and cool looking I decided to try to tie him instead.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 10, 2011June 10th, 2011, 5:35 pm EDT
I've actually had real ones jump off of logs to look at my dry flies! They are really impressive, I've seen them with 3" legspans here in northern lower MI. Don't make 'em too big, Fred, or they'll scare the fish! Looks fabulous as usual. Next you'll have to imitate a female carrying an eggsac!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jun 10, 2011June 10th, 2011, 6:22 pm EDT
Thanks Jonathon. These are really cool spiders.I thought about keeping my live specimen as a pet, but the wife was'nt having it. I guess I should'nt have snagged this fly on her sweater. lol
Fred
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 10, 2011June 10th, 2011, 8:44 pm EDT
Hmmm, you could keep it in a little aquarium with a log sticking out of the water, and feed it swatted flies...Hey, people keep tarantulas! In fact, while in the Peace Corps in Chile, I believe I saw in the wild one of the species folks keep as pets, the Chilean rose-haired tarantula. I also saw a somewhat smaller black and red one, which moved surpisingly fast when I poked it in the rear end with my foot! Don't let that slow-motion crawl fool ya...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 11, 2011June 11th, 2011, 5:14 am EDT
Looks great! I developed a simple orb weaver pattern a few years ago that has done pretty well at times in the right stream. What fish can resist all those legs!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Jun 12, 2011June 12th, 2011, 4:31 am EDT
Thanks Shawn . I'd love to see your orb weaver pattern . I'm thinking when we fish a small popper with rubber legs that the fish take it for a spider .
Fred

Quick Reply