Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Nov 19, 2012November 19th, 2012, 6:27 am EST
The one in my hand has expired so it is a little opaque .
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Nov 24, 2012November 24th, 2012, 11:15 am EST
Is that a hand tied shrimp on the right? If so that is amazing!
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Nov 25, 2012November 25th, 2012, 3:35 pm EST
Thanks, yes it's monofilament and mono thread. I'm doing a tying workshop in Jan.on how to tie these and a crab pattern.

Fred

GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Nov 25, 2012November 25th, 2012, 6:56 pm EST
I take it that this is a salt water pattern then right?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Nov 26, 2012November 26th, 2012, 2:39 am EST
I take it that this is a salt water pattern then right?

This one is tied on a size #10 hook to represent a species mysis shrimp called a grass shrimp . They can take quite a bit of brackish to saltwater but they are most often found in freshwater. You could tie this pattern in a larger size on a stainless steel hook and it would work very well for saltwater species. I tie and fish these for bluegills , crappie and other panfish. I just sent some size 14 to a friend in Michigan who will use them for steelhead and bows.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 26, 2012November 26th, 2012, 9:41 am EST
Fred, you have an eye for imitation like no other. You never fail to impress the heck out of me with your flies!

So, do you just HAMMER fish on these flies or what??? ;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Nov 26, 2012November 26th, 2012, 5:56 pm EST
Fred, you have an eye for imitation like no other. You never fail to impress the heck out of me with your flies!

So, do you just HAMMER fish on these flies or what??? ;oD

Jonathon

Thanks Jonathon , this pattern is not only fun to tie it catches lots of different species.

Fred

Quick Reply