Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Nanz has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Nanz
Brooklyn, NY

Nanz on Jun 6, 2007June 6th, 2007, 10:43 pm EDT
This caddisfly(?) came to UV light at night in Brooklyn, NY. It's about 8 mm long not including the antennae.
Steve
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 7, 2007June 7th, 2007, 4:05 am EDT
Hi Steve-

Hope you have better luck here than you did on BugGuide ID Request. Sorry I can't identify it, but am a bit curious why its length would have shrunk 11% in the last week.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Nanz
Brooklyn, NY

Nanz on Jun 7, 2007June 7th, 2007, 9:26 pm EDT
Roger - Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I am basing the size on the thread count of the sheet on which the insect is resting. It's about 28 threads per cm. The critter looks to me to be about 25 threads which puts it at 8.99 mm. When I posted on Troutnut, I probably divided by 3 instead of 2.8 which would put it at 8.33 mm.
Steve
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 8, 2007June 8th, 2007, 5:31 am EDT
Steve-

I have contacted Dr. John Morse of Clemson University concerning the identity of your caddisfly, and will post his response once I receive it.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 11, 2007June 11th, 2007, 8:06 am EDT
Steve-

Received the following response from Dr. Morse this morning:

Dear Roger,

This looks like a species of Lepidostoma (Lepidostomatidae).

John Morse
jmorse@clemson.edu

You have (at least) the (11) following Lepidostoma species in New York:

L. americanum
L. bryanti
L. costale
L. frosti
L. griseum
L. lydia
L. pictile
L. sackeni
L. sommermanae
L. togatum
L. vernale

Of those, L. costale, L. griseum and L. togatum can likely be eliminated because they are said to be late-summer emergers. L. bryanti is said to emerge in June, and L. vernale in April and May. However, I am unable to find emergence dates for the remainder.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Litobrancha
Knoxville TN

Litobrancha on Jun 12, 2007June 12th, 2007, 7:39 am EDT
when in doubt ask morse is always a good strategy.

just wanted to say that i have collected lepidostoma togatum in april around Fort Payne AL and Chattanooga TN and L. griseum in june on the blue ridge parkway in VA.

you could narrow the field down a bit if you look at the end of the insect, on the dorsal side. one group of lepidostoma has very hairy round paired warts, the others do not. while you're at it, take a picture of his naughty bits!
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 12, 2007June 12th, 2007, 7:56 am EDT
The Brooklyn location triggered a vague recollection about the Long Island streams, and I found this interesting mention in LaFontaine's Caddisflies:

"L. vernalis [sp?] has produced fine fly-fishing opportunities for me on many streams, but the most memorable action has been on the beautiful spring creeks of Long Island, especially the Nissequogue and Carmans."
Litobrancha
Knoxville TN

Litobrancha on Jun 12, 2007June 12th, 2007, 8:47 am EDT
we have a new species of Lepidostoma that is very similar to vernale and flinti. I had never seen vernale until John Weaver sent me some specimens to compare it to. You got to love Lepidostoma... McLachlan said that this group was, in terms of secondary sexual characteristics, the 'curiosity shop of trichoptera'!

Nanz
Brooklyn, NY

Nanz on Jun 13, 2007June 13th, 2007, 10:15 pm EDT
Thank you all for the help and comments.
Steve

Quick Reply