Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dryfly
rochester mn

Dryfly on Jan 28, 2011January 28th, 2011, 7:16 am EST
Anyone know what color caddis egg sacs come in? I've tied some with orange and chartruese but have never actually seen them.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 28, 2011January 28th, 2011, 9:41 am EST
Shane-

It would depend on the species of caddisfly, but I believe a shade of green from chartreuse to dark green would be the most common caddisfly ova color.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Dryfly
rochester mn

Dryfly on Jan 29, 2011January 29th, 2011, 6:31 am EST
Thanks
Walleye
180 Prospect Ave, Gloversville, NY, 12078

Walleye on Feb 19, 2011February 19th, 2011, 2:15 am EST
I've seen two different colors: Green and Yellowish orange. The green colors can be just green to a bright green. The yellowish colors vary also from more yellow to more orange. While fishing at Fishermans Paradise in Penn I once observed caddis dropping their egg sacs from the air (3-6') and trout gulping them up as they dropped. I carry a fly tyiing kit, and tied up a fly on a 26 or 28 hook and caught a nice brown right away. I went home and tied up a bunch in the two or three colors. I have not used them since, but keep them with me.
Every trout is a trophy!
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 1, 2012May 1st, 2012, 9:32 am EDT
Caddis egg sac...sort of late reply on this but,

I spent Sunday afternoon on the Rogue, they were hitting sulphur wets and little black caddis dries in 18's and 20's. When I got out of my waders they were covered with caddis egg sacs, sort of a medium grey-green (more green), about the size of a straight-pin head. I'm heading to my tying bench tonight, get some dupe's cranked out.

My bamboo resto-rod is getting closer to fishability; I used my buddy Chad's 5-wt Sunday and had to slow waaaay down on the casting stroke- it'll be a learning curve but should be fun nonetheless.

The Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 1, 2012May 1st, 2012, 10:12 am EDT
Never too late for good info.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 1, 2012May 1st, 2012, 2:51 pm EDT
Check out this photo of a Lepidostoma (Brown Sedge) egg packet.
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/2434/Little-Brown-Sedge-Lepidostoma-podagrum-Little-Brown-Sedge/2
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on May 1, 2012May 1st, 2012, 7:34 pm EDT
From what I have seen, caddis egg sacs range through any color within the whites, tans, yellows, browns and greens depending on taxa. They change colors as they age over the hours they are around. I think they get darker with time. I don't know much physiology/chemistry but I do know that brachycentrid egg masses will stick to the old sealdry waders and the protein or whatever makes them stick leaves little pits in the wader.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 2, 2012May 2nd, 2012, 1:02 am EDT
but I do know that brachycentrid egg masses will stick to the old sealdry waders and the protein or whatever makes them stick leaves little pits in the wader.

Ah! I remember those marks and always assumed they were just a mysterious effect from oxidation. Thanks for the insight, Dave.

From what I have seen, caddis egg sacs range through any color within the whites, tans, yellows, browns and greens depending on taxa. They change colors as they age over the hours they are around. I think they get darker with time.

I'm sure you are right generally, but lest anybody be confused the blackish egg mass in the photo I took was only seconds detached.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Roguerat
Roguerat on May 2, 2012May 2nd, 2012, 4:53 am EDT
YIKES! pitted waders...I need to hose them off again, check for any damage.

Hindsight, I can only vouch for green egg-sacs here in West MI- no doubt they're differing for geography and subspecies, etc. as the responses above indicate.

We're about 3 weeks ahead of things as far as hatches go- mid-March had temps in the 80's so it jump-started spring...

The Roguerat

Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 2, 2012May 2nd, 2012, 3:31 pm EDT
I wouldn't worry, Rogue. Your waders are fine. Creno and I were talking about the old pure latex Seal-Dri waders. They were really just giant balloons shaped like the lower half of a human. :) I don't think the egg substance has any effect on the outer fabric of today's waders.
Roguerat
Roguerat on May 2, 2012May 2nd, 2012, 4:28 pm EDT
Entoman-

My beloved wife took the time to wipe my breathables down using a damp washcloth, got rid of every last egg-sac...did this while I was at work today- the kind of thing that makes me choke up. I think a 2-day getaway is in order, taking a rod or two just in case though.

I also ran across a classic Michgan fly called the Au Sable Queen which bears a remarkable resemblance to the black caddis' I encountered on the Rogue Sunday, egg sac and all. I'm tying some up before my next outing, but wonder if a peacock herl body is possible on 20's.

The Roguerat

Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 4, 2012May 4th, 2012, 7:14 am EDT
My beloved wife took the time to wipe my breathables down using a damp washcloth, got rid of every last egg-sac.

Wow, I don't know what to say other than don't show her my last post!:)
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on May 4, 2012May 4th, 2012, 12:50 pm EDT
On my swedish rivers I've only seen different shades of green/yellow.
Never really looked that close either..
I like the idea of imitating this with some bright green poly yarn for the sake of adding some color.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
Roguerat
Roguerat on May 4, 2012May 4th, 2012, 2:59 pm EDT
If I'm taking my 2 youngest girls fishing (15 and 18 yrs, both pretty good novice casters) my wife brings a folding-chair; good spot on the bank, a good novel, and always ready with encouragement. We're heading north this weekend to make good on the 2 days away, if recent rains haven't muddied the river I'd like to try the Platte upstream of Honor, MI. Pre-canoe/tube/kayak season, can't be all bad!

The Roguerat

Quick Reply