Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Byhaugh
Hawaii

Byhaugh on Oct 21, 2014October 21st, 2014, 10:16 pm EDT
I was looking at an old FlyCraft paper caliper device. I never used one myself, but have seen them.
My question is this: how many believe the Golden Ratio applies, for example , to the placement of the wing on a hook?

I have watched many highly respected tiers place the wing at the 75% mark of the shank length (for example). Others, say to place the wing at "...approximately the 2/3 mark of the hook shank."

If the Golden a Ratio applies to this aspect of an insect's wing location represented on a hook shank.....and if I have done the math correctly, it would fall at the 62% mark.

I'm not talking about some Balancing reason, but strictly trying to imitate the appearance of the natural.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 21, 2014October 21st, 2014, 10:45 pm EDT
Hi Byron-

Your thoughts?

Not to imply that I have any useful thoughts, but simply in the interest of clarifying your question, are you referring to mayflies?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Byhaugh
Hawaii

Byhaugh on Oct 21, 2014October 21st, 2014, 10:50 pm EDT
Any mayfly.

Here's a photo of the old device.

< />
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Oct 22, 2014October 22nd, 2014, 12:17 pm EDT
Byron,

I was relating this post to Fibonacci's Number, which corresponds to 61% more or less...I use it a lot in cabinet-making, my other $$$$$ vice and semi-retirement it's supposed to make money hobby.
I'd like to see a good side-view (elevation, so to speak) of a given natural but it makes sense that the proportions apply, somehow.

Welcome to the Forum, you've been here a while but hi anyway!

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him..'

Quick Reply