CJ..."> RB Fox Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Feb 24, 2015February 24th, 2015, 5:17 pm EST

From Bergman's book "TROUT"
Mallard flank wings, those feathers give me fits most times!

< />

CJ
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 24, 2015February 24th, 2015, 6:40 pm EST
Pretty!! Wow.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 24, 2015February 24th, 2015, 6:42 pm EST
Are the tail fibers natural or synthetic? Nicely divided mallard segment wings.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Feb 25, 2015February 25th, 2015, 3:24 am EST
As always CJ, absolutely gorgeous!
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Feb 25, 2015February 25th, 2015, 5:42 am EST
Some nice fly there CJ. Looks like one in the book I sent ya, but by Allen Parson, hope you got it by now.
A blind man peaking threw muddy water could see that fly hook a nice brown. But that is so for alot of your flies. You got vision this I know,cause it shows up in everyone of your post I see. Your flies are almost to nice ta fish buddy, but I'll try ta cast them well, hook, land, & watch them swim back home.
Milt.
When dressing dry-flies,we must always keep in mind
the fish's point of view rather then our own.
Romilly Fedden
Golden Days (1919)
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 25, 2015February 25th, 2015, 6:47 am EST
Sure wish I could split wings that neatly. Still working on it after all those years. Nice work!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Feb 25, 2015February 25th, 2015, 1:42 pm EST
Are the tail fibers natural or synthetic? Nicely divided mallard segment wings.

Natural Matt...always natural. Collins spade.

Thanks guys! CJ
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 25, 2015February 25th, 2015, 2:32 pm EST
CJ,

Do you put in one clump of wings, tie them in vertical, and then separate them with a bodkin, or some other tool, and then figure 8 them with the thread?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Feb 25, 2015February 25th, 2015, 4:48 pm EST
CJ,

Do you put in one clump of wings, tie them in vertical, and then separate them with a bodkin, or some other tool, and then figure 8 them with the thread?

Two feathers, convex sides together, pinch and bind them down, lift them up and build a small dam in front then figure 8 them straight up. Trim any stray fibers. Mallard is not my favorite flank, there is a lot of sorting to find 2 even feathers for wings. Thanks, CJ
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Feb 25, 2015February 25th, 2015, 6:56 pm EST
a little off topic but what is the background? I thought it was a pretty cross-section of something but don't understand the three holes. Whatever it is - it is very appropriate!

Quick Reply