Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Leptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) (Black Quill) Mayfly Dun from Factory Brook in New York
I collected this mayfly after user Al514 tipped me off to the presence of some Leptophlebia mayflies I didn't seem to have yet with his ID request of a male dun. This seems to be of the same species. I also collected a female spinner. Based on that spinner, I can tell that this is either Leptophlebia cupida or Leptophlebia nebulosa, but I can't tell which.

Unfortunately none of the specimens I collected made it through the hot, sunny day very well. So the pictures aren't great, but they're better than nothing.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on May 10, 2010May 10th, 2010, 4:04 am EDT
I will apologise up front here for railing on about another "Michigan" thing, but here goes...There is a rather famous fly from the Au Sable area originally put together by Ernie Borchers called the Borchers Drake and it was designed to cover this bug. Originally the abdomen was wrapped condor quill but wrapped natural turkey tail fibers are used now. The tail is three moose mane fibers tied longer than normal and on these specimens of Jason's you can see why that works. It's tied in a Catskill style or as a parachute pattern. Hackle is Adams style and the wing is light blue dun...Have at it!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on May 13, 2010May 13th, 2010, 2:02 am EDT
Charlie Kroll, Fred Bear's son-in-law and a man who, according to him, has "fished on all the best rivers in the world", told me years ago that the Borcher's Special was the single best dry fly he ever used... this coming from a guy who caught brown trout in excess of 16 pounds and brook trout over 10 pounds on a fly. Needless to say, that got my attention.
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on May 13, 2010May 13th, 2010, 2:06 am EDT
This is an addendum to my last post re the Borcher's Special...
It appears that this fly is an excellent imitation of any darker colored mayfly... guids use ti regularly in sizes 14-18 for our early season Hendricksons and Little Mahoganies... trout over 20" are regularly taken on #14's during the Hendrickson hatch.. bigger sizes are excellent when Isonychias begin..

I have added one slight variation to this fly which makes it even more effective..

Tim Neal
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on May 13, 2010May 13th, 2010, 2:08 am EDT
This is an addendum to my last post re the Borcher's Special...
It appears that this fly is an excellent imitation of any darker colored mayfly... guides use it regularly in sizes 14-18 for our early season Hendricksons and Little Mahoganies... trout over 20" are regularly taken on #14's during the Hendrickson hatch.. bigger sizes are excellent when Isonychias begin..

I have added one slight variation to this fly which makes it even more effective..

Tim Neal

Quick Reply