Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionReading, PA
Specific LocationArtificial Lures/ Delayed Harvest
Dates Fished10/12/10
Time of Day7am 'til 1pm
Fish Caught2Rainbows, 2Browns
Conditions & HatchesRainy in the early AM which gave way to spotty sunshine. Light breeze in the early afternoon. Warm but not hot. The water was mostly clear, however still murky through the deeper runs.

Details and Discussion

Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Oct 12, 2010October 12th, 2010, 1:16 pm EDT
Started fishing at 7am, and hooked three pretty quickly on a BH Pheasant Tail 16. Around 9 am the nymphing seemed to fall flat, I tried a variety of patterns and sizes but was unable to catch any more fish. The fourth fish was caught on a BH Wooly Bugger 6 (Black), which I tied on after watching my buddy (who fishes spin reel) catch a couple with his Mepps Aglia. First cast, and bang, rainbow!! Overall a great day on the water. Especially because the fly guy beat the spin fisherman in the un-official contest that we perpetually engage in. Good Times.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Oct 12, 2010October 12th, 2010, 3:55 pm EDT
Nice. Thanks for the report.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Oct 13, 2010October 13th, 2010, 11:46 am EDT
That a boy!!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply