Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flyfishen24
Flyfishen24 on Dec 15, 2016December 15th, 2016, 10:53 pm EST
I am new to fly fishing here in Western Pa. Can anyone recommend any rivers within hour to hour and half away with good trout fishing?
PABrownie
PABrownie's profile picture
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Dec 16, 2016December 16th, 2016, 12:37 am EST
Which part of "western pa" exactly
PABrownie
PABrownie's profile picture
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Dec 16, 2016December 16th, 2016, 12:37 am EST
Check out the forum at: www.paflyfish.com

You'll find lots of information there.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 16, 2016December 16th, 2016, 3:07 am EST
There are quite a few of those Pennsylvania Boys on this site, but you'll need to offer up a case or two of Yuengling to get them to talk...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Dec 16, 2016December 16th, 2016, 6:10 am EST
Western PA is a pretty big and diverse place and depending upon where you are, the options available to you within the 1 to 1.5 hour travel time you're looking for can vary considerably. So, a general location from you would be helpful and would probably result in better advice. We don't need a street address, just a general neck of the woods. If you don't want to give this information on the open board, PM me. Unless you're in the greater Pittsburgh area, I can probably help. There really isn't any help for Pittsburgh people....:) j/k...
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 18, 2016December 18th, 2016, 12:58 am EST
There really isn't any help for Pittsburgh people....:) j/k...

:)
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Dec 18, 2016December 18th, 2016, 10:40 pm EST
I am new to fly fishing here in Western Pa. Can anyone recommend any rivers within hour to hour and half away with good trout fishing?
\

Here the latest reports on fishing in the SW PA region from the PFBC:

http://www.fishandboat.com/Zone1/Pages/SWRegionReports.aspx
Leakyboots
Hermitage,pa

Leakyboots on Jan 7, 2017January 7th, 2017, 2:06 am EST
I live in northwest Pa. Neshannock creek has a delayed harvest section at Volant and there is a fly shop there. Cool spring creek at Mercer also has a delayed harvest section. I catch a lot of trout on both streams. Contact me in the spring and I'd be glad to show you some nice water.
Will Shaver
Powderfinge
Powderfinge's profile picture
3 corners

Powderfinge on Jan 8, 2017January 8th, 2017, 11:14 pm EST
There are quite a few of those Pennsylvania Boys on this site, but you'll need to offer up a case or two of Yuengling to get them to talk...;)

Spence

orb has his finger on the pulse of reality!!!! we are all beer drinkers w/ a fishing problem....lol
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 10:16 am EST
Hey guys, Spence has a new nickname: the ORB! Thanks Brian, and welcome to Troutnut too.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Powderfinge
3 corners

Powderfinge on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 11:05 pm EST
you r welcome....always happy to agitate....I mean, help where I can.
Powderfinge
3 corners

Powderfinge on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 11:13 pm EST
ohiopyle area
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 11, 2017January 11th, 2017, 6:55 am EST
Hey guys, Spence has a new nickname: the ORB!

That's obi wan to you grasshopper! ;)

ORB: Only Rare Birds? or Only Real Beer?
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply