Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Keystoner has attached this picture. The message is below.
Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Oct 4, 2010October 4th, 2010, 7:36 am EDT
Can anyone tell me what these are?? Look like they were left by some sort of aquatic life. They were discovered about a month ago in the Maiden Creek, Kempton, PA. The weather at that time was still hot, and water in the creek was very low. Also, I believe the Maiden is a freestone creek, but I could be wrong. Thanks.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Oct 4, 2010October 4th, 2010, 8:51 am EDT
Those are Neophylax caddis cases. They are either pupal cases, and about to emerge as they are autumn emergers. If you had found them earlier -midsummer- they could have been in summer aestivation. Not all caddis do this.

They were a really common caddis in Central NY where I used to fish. Trout glean the larvae, case and all, from the bottom too. Gravel in trout stoamchs was often due to this.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Oct 4, 2010October 4th, 2010, 1:59 pm EDT
The fourth one is a mud bug. Unlike the others, if you get enough the mud bugs can be real good eatin. I had fried Stenopsyche, a large Asian caddis, one time, and they really don't come close to matching mud bugs.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 4, 2010October 4th, 2010, 4:49 pm EDT
Dave,

I believe the mudbug (crayfish) photo was on a different thread.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Oct 5, 2010October 5th, 2010, 1:31 am EDT
Hey, Creno-
What's the overall geographic distribution of Stenopsyche? Your comments reminded me of some collections I made about twelve years ago that I have not gone through for awhile.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Oct 7, 2010October 7th, 2010, 2:29 pm EDT
Konchu - I really don't know their distribution and am traveling so cannot readily look it up. I know they are eastern Eurasian from India to Japan and Eastern Russia. I haven't heard of any making it to NA and I don't know how far south and west in eurasia they go. Was looking at a Eubasilissa today (a phryganeid)and that would be a real meal - three/4 times the size of Stenopsyche.

Roger - wonder how I did that? Hit reply and end up in a different tread. Oh-well.
creno
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 7, 2010October 7th, 2010, 6:40 pm EDT
Roger - wonder how I did that? Hit reply and end up in a different tread. Oh-well.
creno

Hi Dave,

Yes, I can certainly relate given some of the things my mouse has accidentally succeeded in accomplishing, not the least of which was to lose all of my saved-sent-email before (also accidentally) discovering where it had gone.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Oct 8, 2010October 8th, 2010, 3:32 am EDT
Those were Japanese caddisflies I was talking about, so it is possible, then.

Quick Reply