Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Sep 3, 2015September 3rd, 2015, 10:31 am EDT
Hey all, I figured I'd share this. Could be useful if not interesting to go through. Unfortunately the library is only updated until 2005, but the searchable database is great! It dates back to 1930 and has a wide array of studies and reports conducted by the DNR and other organizations (mainly U of M from what I've noticed so far).

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_52259_19056---,00.html

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 3, 2015September 3rd, 2015, 2:16 pm EDT
Wow! Wish every state had such a database.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 3, 2015September 3rd, 2015, 2:45 pm EDT
Tim, I've dipped into this on occasion, and there are some very nice reports on lakes and rivers. Yep, our DNR does a good job of making these publications available to the public.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Sep 3, 2015September 3rd, 2015, 3:58 pm EDT
I've also done some searching through these archives, it takes some digging but it's worth it.
Another good resource is to Google 'macroinvertebrate study of (enter stream of choice) and see what comes up. My college daughter did a couple field trips during a biology class and told me about it; I've done print-outs of a fair number of MI trout streams and the information is all to genus, and in some cases, species level- trout, mayflies, caddis, stoneflies, its all in there. The test station locations are also given and I've tied flies based on this data.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 4, 2015September 4th, 2015, 6:24 am EDT
We're SO spoiled. And that's a good thing.

Quick Reply