Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 31, 2010December 31st, 2010, 11:52 am EST
Happy New year Troutnutters

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 31, 2010December 31st, 2010, 2:07 pm EST
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you Troutnutters! Let's hope 2011 is a better year than 2010, even though I did catch some really nice fish this year. 2010 wasn't really a good year for me, as every time I thought I was FINALLY going back to work, it got delayed or cancelled. I am anticipating moving to northern lower Michigan in the next few weeks to start my life up again. I will be in Fishing Central up there what with the AuSable, the Rifle, the AuGres, the Pine, etc...not to mention lakes and many warmwater fisheries, and Lake Huron itself. That will hopefully make up for the last three unemployed years of my life.

Here's wishing you all tight lines and dancing trout (or your favorite warnmwater species) on the end of them in the year ahead!!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Dec 31, 2010December 31st, 2010, 6:15 pm EST
Happy New Year everyone!

I believe it will be quite happy for this nut at least.
Within the next couple of weeks, plane tickets will be paid.
Destination; Big Sky Country, US.
A long way from home.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jan 1, 2011January 1st, 2011, 2:02 am EST
I hope everyone here has a great new year.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 1, 2011January 1st, 2011, 2:46 pm EST
Happy New Year to all my virtual buddies. Here's to another great year of buggy questions and answers, and those priceless observations on the angling world in general!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 2, 2011January 2nd, 2011, 9:53 am EST
Best wishes Troutnuts!!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply