Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 1, 2018December 1st, 2018, 4:25 am EST
Who's been to Scotland? I HAVE!! And possibly going back??

https://aecom.jobs/edinburgh-gbr/principal-aquatic-ecologist/77D01B89DD9749F6BFB24FF2B8F77BA6/job/

My boss has worked with AECOM and highly recommends the firm. It's a longshot, but hey, I think I have the basic qualifications. If you count my first "real" job after my Masters as being at South slough Reserve (1992-1993), I've been doing aquatic science for over 26 years. So, why not, especially with a professional connection to the company that might provide me an in?

I don't have much of anything tying me down at this point in my life, and a big fat resume loaded with marketable skills worth a few more $$$ than I thought. And still having my health, I'm always up for another adventure. Stay tuned folks, I can't tell you what's going to happen next, but I'm sure it will be interesting...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 1, 2018December 1st, 2018, 4:39 am EST
I'm pretty sure there are no yellow perch and smallmouth in Scotland. Also almost all the streams, creeks, rivers are held in private hands and it is doubtful you will be able to fish any unless you are willing to pay a daily beat fee. I guess you could still fish for barbel, chubs, and carp.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Dec 1, 2018December 1st, 2018, 8:05 am EST
I don't believe the fishing access situation in Scotland to be anywhere near that grim...

I've had a number of friends go over there to fish and they had excellent trips for trout in terms of variety of stream types, fish size, etc.

It is true, I guess that most access has to be purchased. But in the case of my friends, most of the fees were very reasonable, cheap even. As in all day (or perhaps even multiple day, I forget..) access to a HQ wild brown trout fishery in the northern highlands for what was about the equiv. of 15-20 bucks US.

So, there may be a lot of potential there after all and after a few reports back, we may all may be wanting to come stay with you for a few days..:) Who knows?

Good Luck however it works out for you Jonathon..
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 5, 2018December 5th, 2018, 11:34 pm EST
Oh Matt, you're my favorite curmudgeon.

There are perch in England, along with zander (the European equivalent of walleye) and pike (same species even). Not to mention brown trout, which occur in streams, lakes, and sea-run forms, plus Atlantic salmon and arctic char...and there are PLENTY of lakes for this kayaker to explore!

Guys, I have no idea where I am going to end up. I got called back to work and I am heading out for the field shortly for a wetland delineation - yes, in the snow! Just so long as I land in an interesting place with some interesting people & fishing opportunities, and a good job with a good salary, I'll be just fine.

Jonathon

P.S. No matter where I go I will always have guest accommodations for wayward Troutnuts.
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 6, 2018December 6th, 2018, 5:13 pm EST
Keep us posted, Jonathon!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Dec 20, 2018December 20th, 2018, 2:16 am EST
I'd go back if I wasn't married. My user name for this forum is Scottish Gaelic for fisherman. The rivers in the Highlands are similar to what we have in the Rockies.

The trout in the rivers are not all that big, but in lakes/lochs the rainbows that they stock get big. A 5wt is recommended. But rainbows in Scottish rivers don't breed very well.

Yes, many parts of rivers are private, but ghillies do have permission to fish them with clients for a rod tax fee, along with a daily license. There are rules on how some of the property owners want you to fish. Some private waters only want you to fish with dry flies and casting upstream only. The reason for the rules and rod fees are because the property owners are the ones who steward the fish. They pretty much pay for stocking and must see that the fish thrive.

Is it affordable? Yes. But if you are going there to live, it would be highly advisable that you join a fishing club. This will give you access to many fishing areas.

It's really different there than it is here, but it can be enjoyable once you learn the ways of fishing there as in the regulations.

Oh, by the way, there are seasons for different species of fish, so you want to keep that in mind as well. Grayling fishing in the winter can be fun too.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself there. Lots of exciting history you can learn about as well. It's beautiful there in it's own way. Very mystical and magical too.

And it's the only place where you can get some proper haggis.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 20, 2018December 20th, 2018, 6:02 am EST
Jonathon,

On a serious note barbel fishing is very popular in streams in England that may, or may not, have trout. I did some research on it long prior to your post and practitioners have specialized tackle for them, often center pins, and they can get to very respectable sizes and I imagine fight quite well.

https://barbel.co.uk/
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 29, 2018December 29th, 2018, 4:04 am EST
Thanks for the info and well wishes, guys. Just got back up north after visiting family and friends "down below" (Troy & the 'burbs). Wearing a stylin' black zipper-neck sweater my friends Joe & Susan gave me, gave them a stack of old vinyl LPs (early Elvis Costello, Devo, Iggy Pop, Frank Zappa, etc.) & Joe 3 boxes containing a total of 112 flies I bought before I started tying my own (pretty much all in mint condition).

My very latest plan is to downsize my lifestyle and financial burden, and move to a smaller place in Tawas. The Affiliated shop is there, I do the .22 indoor pistol league at the clubhouse there, and Nordic Sports is there, which sells fly gear (& x/c skis & mountain biking stuff &...), so I'll save $ on gas too. Plus, I will then be close to Tawas Bay, Tawas Lake, Tawas River, and the Au Gres river system, which are all new places to explore. While exploring them I will be shotgunning the job market to see what offers I can conjure up, and which one of them would suit my desire for a FINAL JOB and NO MORE MOVING!! I'd stay here if I could make a living, so I need another location that has the vast majority of what this one has. Oh, and also even closer fishing, and/or a very dark open backyard for astronomy...and NO LAWN SERVICE. I swear my windows are going to fall out when they come around!!

Scotland? ALWAYS a possibility, it's a beautiful country, I love the accent and the culture, and there's fishing and nature close at hand. Been there! Would love to go back...stay tuned.

Jonathon
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Dec 31, 2018December 31st, 2018, 10:03 pm EST
Happy New year Jonathon and all other troutnuts here! Sounds like a pretty good plan, although being closer to the sporting goods store maybe a little risky. Just kidding, I hope things work out up there for you, I wish I could talk my wife into moving upnorth, but with the grandkids down here that aint going to happen. I do hope winter continues like this, and no surprise snow storms just before the trout opener. I have to get going on the vice and maybe look at adding a rod to the quiver.

Take care, Mike.

Quick Reply