Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sla9104 has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionMunster Ireland
Specific LocationCo.Limerick
Dates Fished22nd May
Time of DayNoon
Fish CaughtBrown trout
Conditions & HatchesOvercast with light rain on and off
No hatches
Dark colour on the water
See fish swimming just under the surface

Details and Discussion

Sla9104
Sla9104's profile picture
Ireland

Sla9104 on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 5:51 pm EDT
Just want to share a pic of a nice 1lb 4oz Brownie out of a canal.
Tried everything in the box for a hour at some fish i could see swimming past and the followed alot but always turned away so i put on a size 10 longshank goldhead lure with a black maribu and flash tail, black perl fritz body and gold bead for the head.
after 4 or 5 casts and stripping the fly across this fishes mouth he finally decided to swallow it
Nice fight too
9ft 6 rod 6wt line
4lb flurocarbon leader
A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." ~by Arnold Gingrich~
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 29, 2014May 29th, 2014, 6:15 pm EDT
Well done, Chris! Nice looking fish too, a bit different from the brown trout we have here in North America, which I believe are primarily transplanted from Germany and Scotland. You folks on the "other side of the pond" have a much greater diversity of brown trout. Though, we make up for it out west with a wide variety of subspecies and races of cutthroat and rainbow trout. Keep showing us what you catch!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 30, 2014May 30th, 2014, 2:29 pm EDT
Nice! When they are cruising it can be tough to cover them. Getting them to chase, if they will, is a good idea. WTG!
Sla9104
Sla9104's profile picture
Ireland

Sla9104 on May 31, 2014May 31st, 2014, 6:09 am EDT
Iv been fly fishing other parts of europe but im set on fly fishing some of the ledgendary spots in the u.s.

Il upload some of the places im blessed to fish over here

They just seemed to be sunbathing that day paul and when they do that i always found it best to play on there instinct to just grab something passing rather then try match flys they wernt even bothered to take... seems to work for me :)
A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." ~by Arnold Gingrich~

Quick Reply