Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Gutcutter has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Boca chica key - ocean side
Big pine key - ocean side
7x my ass
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Feb 23, 2010February 23rd, 2010, 1:28 pm EST
is it alright to post these seeing that i caught the permit on a crab fly and tarpon on a shrimp fly? they're really just big cousins to mayflies, right...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Feb 23, 2010February 23rd, 2010, 1:40 pm EST
Great fish Tony ,I don't know if I like the fish our the Racing shoes. Don't let Louis see those checkered tennies .

And the water sure is blue.

Thanks for shareing
JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 23, 2010February 23rd, 2010, 2:00 pm EST
Beautiful fish! Your pretty amazing going from 80# shock tippets to 7X for Spring Creek browns!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Feb 24, 2010February 24th, 2010, 4:19 am EST
Looks like a good time there Tony!

I may have posted this here before, but...Back in the early 90's I was fishing in front of a lodge that was owned by Carl Richards on the Au Sable. I came around the bend in front of the place and he was sitting in a chair on the dock with an early drink in his hand and his vest etc piled in another chair. We had a nice chat and I tried to get him to go fishing with me...He said, "If you would of asked me 10 years ago if I would ever own a boat I would of said no. You know once you have caught a fish that is as long as you are, or your boat is, these little 10" brookies sometimes just don't get it...You know what I mean?"

It's been on my mind ever since...What's not to like about the climate there, the cold beers with lunch, and fish that run in to your backing and a 10" brook would just be a snack?!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Feb 24, 2010February 24th, 2010, 4:43 am EST
yes spence that may be true, and there is no better battle than a big tarpon, no better eyes than a permit - but...
once you master distance casting and accuracy (and wind control) and once your eyes learn to see fish at a distance you have the sport down. there will be times when a tarpon will refuse a properly presented fly, but not too often. the key is getting the fly there quickly and making it lifelike.
conversly, you can drift a dozen different flies perfectly over a 22" brown during a hatch and finally find the right combo and hook up.
you feel great and think you've accomplished something when you get the screaming reel from a 'poon but also when you nail that big old brownie - at least i do.
saltwater fishing has changed the way that i go about trout fishing. i only sight fish in both enviornments now.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness

Quick Reply