Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3 has attached this picture. The message is below.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jan 9, 2008January 9th, 2008, 1:39 pm EST
This is my son Joshua's first streamer, a Mickey Finn. He picked the pattern out of a book and tied it almost completely on his own. I showed him how to hold things when mounting materials, but the tying was entirely his own. The only things I did was give a few hard wraps at the end to keep stuff from falling out and help him half-hitch the head. He also took the photograph. He's a very proud four-year-old.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 3:40 am EST
he's four years old?! My four year old cant even tie her shoe laces
Amazing
I am haunted by waters
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 7:06 am EST
McJames, go look at Shawn's website in his signature, and you'll see that the apple didn't fall far from the tree...grandma must be proud!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 7:18 am EST
Shawn-
I can see it now. www.davis&sonflydesigns.com.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Flybinder
Oregon Coast

Flybinder on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 12:31 pm EST
One of the great, all time, smallie flies was also invented AND tied by a 4 year old fly tier....... Believe it or not, it's "The Puke Fly" and IT DOES WORK!
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 12:33 pm EST
Thank you, guys. I've already passed along your comments to Joshua, and he's very appreciative. His grandma would certainly be proud (she likes to wear flies on her jacket, and Joshua is considering giving this one to her), but his mom is harder to please. Joshua tied the fly while she was out, and by the time she got back home we'd already posted the photo on the web. When she got home (after Joshua was in bed), I showed her the photo and said, "What do you think of this fly?" She goes, "It's kind of ugly." Having suckered her in, I said with fake chagrin, "What kind of mother says that about something her son has made?" She backpedaled pretty quickly after I said that, talking about how she thought I was showing her some famous tier's artistic creation and blah blah blah. It was pretty funny.

This is the first time Joshua has tied a fly with my direction. He has often tied flies completely of his own invention, however, while I'm at my bench tying one of mine. His strategy is typically to tie on as many different-colored maribou feathers as he can, in all directions. He likes to put the finished flies in a little picture frame I gave him. Those flies in the picture frame do look a lot like real insects, too - insects smeared on your windshield, that is. I love my son, and God bless him, but every time I look at that frame I have a little chuckle.

-Shawn

P.S. And McJames, he can't tie his shoelaces either. I'll bet your daughter could tie a simple streamer, too. And if you can get her to like doing it, you might just have a little free child labor on your hands.
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flybinder
Oregon Coast

Flybinder on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 12:35 pm EST
Sorry!
Hers' the description, of this 4year old's fly and the link to see the fly itself...

"Created by Willie McLennan, age 4, in 1993, this is a great fly for bass, carp, drum and redhorse. He noticed when hooked smallies regurgitated food, other fish would scoop it up. His first fly was made from white marabou, but we changed it to rabbit fur for durability. A lot of folk say they invented this, but Willie tied the first one. Larger sizes are good for pike and lake carp."

http://www.about-flyfishing.com/library/weekly/aa101601d.htm

And, ABOVE ALL, many congrats to YOUR SON, Shawny3!!! That's a nice looking streamer and for a 4 year old, it's amazing!
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jan 10, 2008January 10th, 2008, 10:43 pm EST
Wow, the Puke Fly is not only tied by a 4-year-old, but it's imitative as well?! Pretty ingenious thinking for anyone, let alone a little kid. Cool story, Flybinder.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply