Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flymom
Flymom's profile picture
Catskills - Livingston Manor, NY

Flymom on Oct 1, 2010October 1st, 2010, 5:25 am EDT
Valla’s New Book The Classic Dry Fly Box
To be released November 6 at The Arts of the Angler Show
For Immediate Release September 28, 2010
Livingston Manor, NY Contact: 845-439-4810
The Classic Fly Box is being considered, by many, as a “companion guide” to his first book “Tying Catskill Style-Dry Flies” (Headwater/Stackpole Books). 100 classics, primarily “Catskill-Style” dry flies, but has representation from the Pacific Northwest, down to California, over to Michigan, across to Pennsylvania, up to the Catskills, and over to Ray Bergman territory.
Join Mike as he takes the reader on a tour of the history of the Catskill-style dry fly. From the Abbey to the Yellow Spinner, with 98 other stops in between. Mike explores the popular to the obscure, delving into the history of these marvelous flies, masterfully weaving quotes from Gordon, Cross, the Dettes, Bergman, and other legends with his own personal anecdotes about growing up in the Catskill tying tradition. Fully illustrated with gorgeous color photography and complete with dressing appendix.
Mike will be available at the Arts of the Angler Show, at the Ethan Allen Inn, Danbury CT, on Saturday, November 6, 2010 from noon to 5PM for signing. This is another exciting book for fly tyers and those interested in fly fishing.
Published by Whitefish Press. Softcover $29.95

Quick Reply