Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dry4Flies
Dry4Flies on Jul 24, 2013July 24th, 2013, 10:19 am EDT
Hi All,

Traveling to Southwest Idaho first of August. We'll be staying near Garden Valley and plan on visiting McCall and the surrounding areas.

I've never fly fished any of those areas. I'm looking for feedback on easily accessible streams and rivers and possibly lakes/ponds.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Cutbow
Cutbow's profile picture
Post Falls, Idaho

Cutbow on Jul 25, 2013July 25th, 2013, 9:33 am EDT
Just throw a dart at a map and go fishing in the closest blue. Payette river will be your easiest option.
"Once you catch your first fish on a fly you won't care about any other kind of fishing!"
Sayfu
Sayfu on Jul 26, 2013July 26th, 2013, 11:51 am EDT
Haven't got a good report for you. We are having hot days, and a water shortage. Irrigation water is being held back, and the farmers, and the fishing is hurting. I would say you are going to be confined to a high elevation lake for decent fly fishing.

Quick Reply