Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dorsal view of a Hydrophilidae (Giant Water Scavenger Beetle) Beetle Adult from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
This is a water beetle. It is the hardest object in the world to pick up with tweezers. The second hardest is Mount Everest.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 14, 2006October 14th, 2006, 10:08 am EDT
I'm not great on beetle identification, but this one seems pretty easy--Hydrophilus triangularis.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 14, 2006October 14th, 2006, 10:11 am EDT
Thanks. I'm just going to put that ID in the description, rather than moving it into a section on that species like I usually do, because I don't have all the beetle taxa in the database. There are just too many of them.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Nov 27, 2006November 27th, 2006, 8:35 am EST
DMM-

Thank you. I'm glad you like the book. But there's certainly no need for formal address. Gonzo is fine.

Quick Reply