Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

And has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
And
Europe

And on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 5:43 am EST
Hello Jason, compliments for your web.
I found this one in alpine stream in Austria - Europe, I
guess it could be a tricoptera ? I discovered it under a peabble (2nd pic) and portayed it on white surface in the 1st pic, any suggestion ?
Thanks and Greetings

Andrea
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 5:57 am EST
And-

Not like any Trichoptera I've ever seen--perhaps a beetle larva?
And
Europe

And on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 6:19 am EST
One more thing, it was around 1 cm long,

thanks

Andrea
Serotonin
Serotonin on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 7:07 am EST
Hi guys.
This is my first post.

First, I'd like to say that I've really enjoyed this site since its inception, and I like it even more w/the new format. There is an incredible wealth of knowledge here.

I have encountered the bug pictured above, in a New York stream. I don't recall it's Latin name, but if memory serves, in Schwiebert's "Nymphs" he refers to it as a Snipe Fly Larva. I have also heard it called a Water Sprite.

I don't have the Nymphs book in front of me, but here's some photos I took a few winters ago. When disturbed, the things would thrash wildly until able to gain a foothold on something. I am considering making highly articulated larvae to mimic this behavior. Appx 1.5 cm.

Pictures Here
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 7:21 am EST
Good call, Serotonin. It does look like the Atherix larvae. Maybe David or Roger can nail this one down.
Serotonin
Serotonin on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 7:26 am EST
Please excuse the following dumb question.
How do I post the images here...?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 7:55 am EST
Serotonin-

EDIT:

The following link appears on the screen for creation of a new topic:

For help with formatting your text, see the forum code page.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 8:35 am EST
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this one is the genus Atherix in the family Athericidae. Serotonin's pics are Athericidae but probably not Atherix. They're all called "snipe flies" or "watersnipe flies" though.

I've got pictures of a couple specimens on this site.

Sorry about the tricky forum markup codes here. I cleaned up your posts a little bit to fit the syntax.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 8:56 am EST
Andrea-

You have (3) species of Athericidae (Watersnipe Flies) in Austria, Atherix ibis, Atrichops crassipes, and Ibisia marginata. I believe yours to be Atherix ibis.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 10:36 am EST
Hey Roger--where do you find your resources on European taxa? (I've looked on your site, but perhaps I'm missing something.) Not that I have any hope of ever fishing there, but at least it might keep me from using outdated nomenclature in the future.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 10:46 am EST
Gonzo-

European Macro-Invertebrate Database is in the Taxonomy folder on my Recommended Websites page.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 11:29 am EST
Thanks, Roger. I'd apologize for my lack of thoroughness and lame computer skills, but once one starts apologizing for one's shortcomings it's hard to know where to stop! :)
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 12:00 pm EST
Gonzo-

You're welcome. On those rare occasions when I know something useful, I'm delighted to have the opportunity to share it.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
And
Europe

And on Feb 23, 2007February 23rd, 2007, 1:00 am EST
Hello folks, thanks a lot ! I would claim the case is solved
have a nice w/e

Andrea

Quick Reply