Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionMikado, Michigan
Specific LocationPine River
Dates Fished11 May 2011
Time of Day3:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Fish CaughtOne little 6" brook trout
Conditions & HatchesCloudy, very light breeze, mid-50s F; water high and murky, visibility one foot or less; some mayflies hatching, possibly Red Quills but large (size 10); no fish seen feeding on surface

Details and Discussion

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 11, 2011May 11th, 2011, 5:36 pm EDT
Well, I finally ventured out in search of trout in my new surroundings, having skipped the first few weekends after the trout opener to avoid crowds and high waters. Well, the waters were still high today, but no crowds. This spot is only 15 minutes from my house! And having not seen many early-season posts from my fellow Michigan trounuts, I thought I should submit one myself so others can compare notes.

Despite obvsiouly high and very off-color waters, I gave it a couple of hours. No rises but some kind of mayfly was hatching, might have been Red Quills but seemed large - March Browns?? Wading back down to the car I decided I shouldn't quit until I had run a Woolly Bugger under the bridge a few times. Lo and behold, I got a couple of bumps, then this little fellow ended up stuck on it! [NOTE: pictures will NOT post! Will try again later...] Not a big fish but not a CHUB either, like I was sick of catching downstate in so-called "trout" streams. And, for my first time out in a completely new river with less-than-optimal water conditions, I don't think too bad at all!

More reports to come in the next few months...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Drew
Drew on Jun 12, 2011June 12th, 2011, 4:07 pm EDT
Hello sir, I am also a resident of mikado and was poking around the river this evening with no luck, not even a chubby. U are fly fishing I assume? And what area were u seeing results?
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 13, 2011June 13th, 2011, 9:51 am EDT
Drew, this spot was upstream of Cruzen Road, and the brookie took a #6 brown-and-grizzly Woolly Bugger swung downstream beneath the bridge. This area seemed rather silty earlier in the season, quite possibly because of what appear to be clearcuts in the Huron NF in the headwaters of McDonald Creek (a tributary feeding in above Cruzen Road). There are many other access points on the Pine and I'm just beginning to explore them, having just moved up here from downstate in January. I'll let you know what I find! BTW, wehre were you fishing and what were you using?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Drew
Drew on Jun 14, 2011June 14th, 2011, 3:48 am EDT
I was much further west up F30, if you drive up to rearing road you will find a myriad of trailerheads but continue down to the campground a little past the bridge and head down the trail you will find a small bridge and some little pools that appeared to be worthwhile. All I had was my rod and real in the back of my truck so I simply scrounged a small bit of crawler up but didnt see much action. There are also a few small lakes out that way that I have heard are worthwhile.

Quick Reply