Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Millcreek has attached these 10 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Late instars of panel case type. 11 mm larvae, 13 mm case.
Late instars of panel case type. 11 mm larvae, 13 mm case.
Early instars, panel case, 4-6 mm larvae and cases.
Panel case larvae. 11 mm
Turret case 8 mm. Larva 7mm.
Larva 7 mm.
Larvae 7 mm.
Larva 7 mm.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Apr 19, 2015April 19th, 2015, 9:54 am EDT
These two species are found in Mill Creek (tributary to the Russia River, near Healdsburg, CA). There are both a panel case and a turret case. Panel case is the first one shown. These insects are found in leafpacks for the panel case and grazing diatoms for the turret case.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 19, 2015April 19th, 2015, 10:07 am EDT
Mark. Great pictures as always...I'm beginning to think that there may be a book hiding in here somewhere and we are all getting a preview. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Apr 19, 2015April 19th, 2015, 10:23 am EDT
Spence - No book right now. I'm too damn lazy to write it.:)
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 19, 2015April 19th, 2015, 10:39 am EDT
Spence - No book right now. I'm too damn lazy to write it.:)

Write it or not brother, we here are enjoying it in serial form! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Apr 19, 2015April 19th, 2015, 11:25 am EDT
Spence, you are on point there, great stuff....MillCreek I have always wanted ta comment that your posts are great stuff. But I lazy, Even that I live in east coast & alot of your stuff is west coast, it is interesting & done well. Thanks for taking the time to share, on that note I wouldn't call that lazy... For you do go & show the extra mile in your works. Thanks again, M.R.P.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Apr 19, 2015April 19th, 2015, 2:05 pm EDT
Millcreek - I like the cases going from turret to rocks and rocks to panels. These are great examples of the variability in case style with populations and between instars. Do you see any setal or other color differences (beside the legs) between the two species? Are you collecting the same locality on Mill Creek all the time or are there major altitudinal/vegetational differences in these collections?
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Apr 19, 2015April 19th, 2015, 2:35 pm EDT
Creno - These were collected in the same area of Mill Creek (the same 100 yards). They are separated in time though, with the turret cases coming first in July and grazing on diatoms, and with the panel cases showing up around September and grazing on leaves. I haven't noticed any setal differences between the two although there may be some.

MiltRPowell - Thanks very much for the kind words.
-Albert Einstein

Quick Reply