Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Byhaugh
Hawaii

Byhaugh on Jul 29, 2017July 29th, 2017, 8:56 am EDT
I have always wondered if there is a list of the colors of insect eggs or insect egg sacks by order?

As tiers, we often try to imitate the female egg layer in our flies. However, I have seen different colors used. For example, I have seen both yellow and green used for egg sacks on caddis patterns.

This summer, during a Salmonfly "storm", I found orange eggs on the females. Although, most others say such eggs (or egg sacks) on Salmonflies are black?

Good, scientific info would be welcomed!

Thanks, in advance.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 29, 2017July 29th, 2017, 5:01 pm EDT
Hi Byron-

Don't recall ever having encountered a list of ova color by insect order, or by anything else for that matter. However, it would seem to be useful information to have.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply