Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Byhaugh has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Byhaugh
Hawaii

Byhaugh on Feb 12, 2015February 12th, 2015, 9:21 am EST
Hi,
My son and I just returned from a trip to the Chillean side of Patagonia.
Other than Caddis, beetles, and hoppers, there was not a lot of insect activity.
I did see this spinner and believe I know what it is, but looking for verification.

< />
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Feb 13, 2015February 13th, 2015, 8:32 am EST
Byron,

I'll bite, a member of Leptophlebiidae. You seem to have lost two of the caudal tails (or possibly just one if I'm entirely wrong). Can't even begin to guess the genera if I'm right, there are just too many.

Mark
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 13, 2015February 13th, 2015, 4:24 pm EST
Based on the long legs, body shape and heavy wing venation I'll go with heptageniid... Only a guess, though.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 14, 2015February 14th, 2015, 2:20 am EST
Kurt-

I'll go with heptageniid... Only a guess, though.

That was my instinct as well, at least until I discovered that South America doesn't have a single species of family Hetageniidae. You will have to copy and paste

http://www.flyfishingentomology.com/SAMayflyDistributionQuery.htm

into your web brouser's address window in order verify that, as this forum converts all hyperlinked addresses to all lower case for some unknown reason.

Hint hint, Jason :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Feb 14, 2015February 14th, 2015, 7:13 am EST
Kurt and Roger,

Or perhaps a member of Nesameletidae. Found this picture of a female.
http://www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-group/local-flies/mayflies.html
It's a New Zealand site but the genus shows up in Chile as well.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein

Quick Reply