Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Rhithrogena (Heptageniidae) Mayfly Spinner from the West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
I'm very tentatively (see the connected forum thread) sticking this mayfly in Rhithrogena for now.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 8, 2007June 8th, 2007, 11:10 am EDT
I didn't even recognize it as a member of that family at first, but it seems to be the only option. The hind tarsus is distinctly 5-segmented, which I verified under the microscope because you can't see it very well on my photos. However, I because it's a female spinner I can't key it to genus using the Merrit & Cummins keys. Does anyone just recognize it?

I found it drifting, nearly dead on the surface at about 5pm on a hot afternoon.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jun 9, 2007June 9th, 2007, 2:07 am EDT
Ignoring all other details, the body shape & color and leg markings resemble some Epeorus and Rhithrogena. Possibly Rhithrogena is the closest. I collected some about like this with male spinners a few weeks ago in Tennessee.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 9, 2007June 9th, 2007, 4:16 am EDT
I was considering Rhithrogena too because it has a few of those anastomosed crossveins. They just aren't as prominent as I've seen in most illustrations, which gave me cause for doubt. I'll tentatively stick it in there for now.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Tana
Madrid España

Tana on Jan 31, 2009January 31st, 2009, 9:15 pm EST
Hola, Creo que no es posible determinar un insecto de estas caracteristicas en esste estado, ha tantos tipos de Rhithrogena que no podria saber si realmente es alguna, en estados adultos yo en España recomiendo imitar color y tamaño, a mi me parece que se puede sustituir por la March Bronw, recomiendo leer esto:
http://images.google.es/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cpdrioarga.com/prueba/naturaleza/moscasnaturales/efemeras/heptagenidos/imagenes/heptagenido%2520(subimago)%2520hembra%25202.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cpdrioarga.com/prueba/naturaleza/moscasnaturales/efemeras/heptagenidos/heptagenidos.html&usg=__99R-yRByWLBw2Ny4WA5Ygf_8yjs=&h=450&w=600&sz=55&hl=es&start=67&um=1&tbnid=J0oT_Bxb0Cv5xM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRhithrogena%26start%3D54%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Des%26lr%3Dlang_es%26rlz%3D1T4HPEB_esES305ES305%26sa%3DN

Un saludo a todos Tana
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 1, 2009February 1st, 2009, 6:24 am EST
Although the translation may be less than perfect,
this is (more or less) what Tana is saying
when translated to English:

Hello, I think it is not possible to identify an insect of its kind in this state,
has many different types of Rhithrogena could not really tell if any,
adult I recommend imitate Spain in color and size,
I find that you can replaced by the March Brown,
I read this:

Greetings,

Tana
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply