Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

And has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
And
Europe

And on Apr 21, 2007April 21st, 2007, 8:56 am EDT
Dear community, thanks for consideridering these pictures.My cinpression is to be in front of a Rhithrogena, however I am not sure whether to classify it as Rhithrogena, Heptagenia or even Electrongena.
Along with the pics, additional info: I come across it in Italy, pre-alpine area, starting end of March or April. Size is around 2 or 2,5 cm., including cerci. The males are smaller.
Pic 1 the whole
Pic 2 the front leg
Pic 3 the rear leg

Thanks for any suggestions

regards
Andrea
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 21, 2007April 21st, 2007, 10:49 am EDT
Andrea-

Can I assume your specimen had only two tails, given that the genera possibilities you are considering are all of family Heptageniidae.

It would help to know how long in mm it was, exclusive of tails. One could estimate that, given the measure you provided, but for the fact that tail ends don't show in "the whole" photo.

It would also help to know which Italian region it was from. See Italian regions map below:

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
And
Europe

And on Apr 21, 2007April 21st, 2007, 8:52 pm EDT
Hello Roger
the mayfly body measured 12 mm. without tails.
The region is Piedmont, the north part, close to the border with Aosta Valley.
I attach a picture of the ventral view of a female, unforunately the male flew away before I could portay it

Andrea

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 22, 2007April 22nd, 2007, 6:11 am EDT
Andrea-

I would tend to favor Heptagenia because of the wing venation, and possibly H. longicauda because of the dark tarsi. However, this is just a guess at best.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
And
Europe

And on Apr 22, 2007April 22nd, 2007, 7:45 am EDT
Hi Roger,

I had thought that too, however some literature reports that in the rear foot, the tarsus 1 is longer then tarsus 3 in the Rhithrogena whereas in the Heptagenia Tarsus 1 is

Quick Reply