Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

DangerAF1 has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
DangerAF1
DangerAF1's profile picture
CO

DangerAF1 on Apr 19, 2020April 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm EDT
Could use a little help here. I know I've got some stonefly fly nymphs in the first picture but does anyone have ideas of the other few bugs that are in these shots
I like to put a little jiggle in my wiggle to set the hook
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Apr 19, 2020April 19th, 2020, 5:22 pm EDT
Jay,
You have some caddisflies in the bottom picture, probably Hydropsyche. The mayfly nymphs are possibly Heptagenia and the light colored cylindrical ones are members of the fly family (Diptera). The top picture is a midge or mosquito.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
DangerAF1
DangerAF1's profile picture
CO

DangerAF1 on Apr 20, 2020April 20th, 2020, 6:48 am EDT
Thank you for the help I'm really new to fly fishing and I've been picking up every book I can but there's a lot to learn. So I really appreciate the patience that you guys have on this forum in teaching people like me how to enjoy the sport even more. I'll be sure to start putting all of my insects on white backgrounds for photography and anything else you can recommend to make this easier for me to learn and more productive for fishing.
I like to put a little jiggle in my wiggle to set the hook

Quick Reply