Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Mar 3, 2019March 3rd, 2019, 3:19 am EST
I just learned of Dennis’ passing this am ; sadly, he passed on 2/14. For those of us in the catskills who frequented his flyshop In Roscoe, he will be sorely missed. RIP Dennis ☹️
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 3, 2019March 3rd, 2019, 4:29 am EST
Sorry to hear this. A friend in a local shop is a special thing. I am sure he will be missed by many.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BoulderWork
BoulderWork on Mar 3, 2019March 3rd, 2019, 10:15 pm EST
I agree. This is a loss and I will miss his wit, insight and his larger than life persona. Truly enjoyed watching him tie flies at the vice near front of shop and opportunity to learn about designs, and the fisheries.
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Mar 5, 2019March 5th, 2019, 2:04 am EST
Sorry for the loss to those who knew him. He sounds like a person who was well worth knowing.

Quick Reply